• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Introducing Male Guinea Pigs

What age?

• Same age

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beckymc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

I've had a male guinea pig for nearly 3 months now. I got him from the pets at home adoption bit. After initial vet check up he had a runny nose so I was advised he needed to be on his own for now. After couple of months of runny noses, antibiotics and ringworm he has been given the all clear! So I'm on the hunt for a friend. He is not neautered ( and I don't want to put him through operation ) so I am looking for another male. Marshmallow is quiet and shy, apart from being an escape artist who manages to get out of every run ive bought / made! He has a 1m by 1m square cage.

My question is am I better getting a guinea pig the same age or a baby one.

Hi

I've had a male guinea pig for nearly 3 months now. I got him from the pets at home adoption bit. After initial vet check up he had a runny nose so I was advised he needed to be on his own for now. After couple of months of runny noses, antibiotics and ringworm he has been given the all clear! So I'm on the hunt for a friend. He is not neautered ( and I don't want to put him through operation ) so I am looking for another male. Marshmallow is quiet and shy, apart from being an escape artist who manages to get out of every run ive bought / made! He has a 1m by 1m square cage.

My question is am I better getting a guinea pig the same age or a baby one.

Hi! The best way to find a character compatible friend (which is the key to any succussful boar bond) is to date him at one of our recommended good standard and piggy savvy rescues, most of which offer boar dating. This means that Marshmallow is meeting any new friends under expert supervision and you come home with a new companion only if there has been success. You also have the backing of the rescue for the whole life of one of their adopted piggies if there are problems along the way, as well as the guarantee that any adopted guinea pig is healthy, properly sexed and does not come with any infectious problems. It is well worth travelling further afield for that reason and for the security of not being stuck with two piggies that don't get on!

You may have to ring up all rescues within your reach to see whether they have got suitable candidates in. Don't just go by the website. Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

We may be able to give you better recommendations if you added your county or part of the country to your details, especially in view of having members and getting enquiries from all over the world. Please click on your username on the top, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you! It allows us to help you more efficiently.

Hi! The best way to find a character compatible friend (which is the key to any succussful boar bond) is to date him at one of our recommended good standard and piggy savvy rescues, most of which offer boar dating. This means that Marshmallow is meeting any new friends under expert supervision and you come home with a new companion only if there has been success. You also have the backing of the rescue for the whole life of one of their adopted piggies if there are problems along the way, as well as the guarantee that any adopted guinea pig is healthy, properly sexed and does not come with any infectious problems. It is well worth travelling further afield for that reason and for the security of not being stuck with two piggies that don't get on!

You may have to ring up all rescues within your reach to see whether they have got suitable candidates in. Don't just go by the website. Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

We may be able to give you better recommendations if you added your county or part of the country to your details, especially in view of having members and getting enquiries from all over the world. Please click on your username on the top, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you! It allows us to help you more efficiently.

hi
thanks ive added my location on profile. I'm from Liverpool UK, unfortunately my nearest rescue centre is over 30 miles away.

thank you so much for looking, unfortunately they are looking to be re-homed as a group. Been in contact with s few rescues in Wales and been told they have neautered males but are only re-homing with girls

@beckymc I too am currently looking for a friend for my boar,Mo,though he is nearly 1. He too had a health scare of a URI and was on baytril so I left him alone to be on the safe side. He isn't neutered either and I also don't want him to have the operation if I can help it. I just wondered if you found a friend in the end or if you're still looking? I too am searching my rescues for a friend.

@beckymc I too am currently looking for a friend for my boar,Mo,though he is nearly 1. He too had a health scare of a URI and was on baytril so I left him alone to be on the safe side. He isn't neutered either and I also don't want him to have the operation if I can help it. I just wondered if you found a friend in the end or if you're still looking? I too am searching my rescues for a friend.

Hi I did end up finding a friend, but i couldn't find any boars in rescue. RSPCA refused me as they said they will not rehome a boar to go with another boar, and said i should get marshmallow neautered and come back and pick a girl. I live in liverpool which i have found is very thin on the ground for guinea pig rescue.

I ended up buying a lovely little boy from pets at home. * yes i know it's better to adopt and i would of if i could of. Didn't want marshmallow alone for any longer. I'll propably get loads of users telling me how terrible i am *

They have been living together since late october and apart from the occasional rumble strut they live very happily together ☺️.

I didn't want to get marshmallow neutered which is why i wanted a boy, i know a lot of owners choose to neauter but I felt after the couple of months he was poorly i didn't want to put him through the operation and then introducing a girlfriend.

Photo was taken during introductions. Fudge is now bigger than marshmallow! We think marshmallow isn't going to grow any bigger and vet suspects he may of been a runt.

44CDDE4E-6EEC-49EB-83E9-66161C01FCBD.JPG

Aww what a lovely couple. I am lucky here in Hampshire with some good rescues reasonably close (one half an hour away another about an hour away).

Glad the bonding went well. They are both fine looking guinea pigs.

Hi I did end up finding a friend, but i couldn't find any boars in rescue. RSPCA refused me as they said they will not rehome a boar to go with another boar, and said i should get marshmallow neautered and come back and pick a girl. I live in liverpool which i have found is very thin on the ground for guinea pig rescue.

I ended up buying a lovely little boy from pets at home. * yes i know it's better to adopt and i would of if i could of. Didn't want marshmallow alone for any longer. I'll propably get loads of users telling me how terrible i am *

They have been living together since late october and apart from the occasional rumble strut they live very happily together ☺️.

I didn't want to get marshmallow neutered which is why i wanted a boy, i know a lot of owners choose to neauter but I felt after the couple of months he was poorly i didn't want to put him through the operation and then introducing a girlfriend.

Photo was taken during introductions. Fudge is now bigger than marshmallow! We think marshmallow isn't going to grow any bigger and vet suspects he may of been a runt.

View attachment 56888

No-one will judge you for taking the action that was the best for Marshmallow. While we are a rescue friendly forum and promote rehoming from rescues, we are alive to the fact that rescues do not always have the solution needed. If you have a lone piggy grieving or in need of company and you cannot find a companion in rescue, then of course you have to find a companion from elsewhere. No-one will judge you for deciding not to neuter him. What matters is that he now has company, that he and Fudge are happy and they have the best life possible. Lovely to see him happy with his new chum.

Awwww thanks for the update they are both gorgeous piggies and I'm glad it worked out. My piggy too is not from a rescue but from a local guy who's own piggy happened to have a litter. The time was right and after loosing my other pig Vinny I decided it was time for another. Hopefully,I can find my boar a friend like you. Very cute pigs! @beckymc

20160619_173026.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back