• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Introducing Neutered Boar To 2 Sows

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinaG

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've just been approved to adopt a neutered boar to join my 2 sows. They are bonded but one is definitely dominant and in charge. They're in a 2x4 with a 2x1 loft. I've read the guide on bonding but wanted to get tips from people who have been there? Like practically when should I actually let them all in the cage together after introducing them in a neutral playpen?

I've just been approved to adopt a neutered boar to join my 2 sows. They are bonded but one is definitely dominant and in charge. They're in a 2x4 with a 2x1 loft. I've read the guide on bonding but wanted to get tips from people who have been there? Like practically when should I actually let them all in the cage together after introducing them in a neutral playpen?

I always wait until the piggies have settled down well together for a nap and are still with each other afterwards. I would not have any furniture apart from a pile of hay or grass in the bonding pen (and water if there is no grass) and only use stools or log tunnels for the dominance phase in the first few days until everything has settled down and the top sow has had her first season, which tends to be on the lively side.

It is very likely that sows that are not in season and are dominant will not let him come near them, so you have to see how it goes. Some boys can lose their head to the gonads when they meet girls for the first time. Every bonding is different as it completely depends on the mix of personalities and has its very own dynamics. There is simply no rule that fits all. It is however always good to plan ahead in case the bonding doesn't come off.

When I introduced my neutured boar he was so excited and got a bit too excited. He was pestering the girls quite a lot but he soon calmed down and they lived harmoniously.

So if things seem to be high energy and a bit mad to begin with, as long as it isn't aggressive then keep going with it. :)

Thank you. Both girls are settled, I'm worried that a boar will cause unnecessary disruption - is it worth continuing with? We don't have a back up plan if they don't bond, we'd have to put him back up for adoption.

Thank you. Both girls are settled, I'm worried that a boar will cause unnecessary disruption - is it worth continuing with? We don't have a back up plan if they don't bond, we'd have to put him back up for adoption.

Will the rescue not do a supervised bonding session for you?

Yes they've suggested that, though I don't know how that works really. The rescue is 1.5/2 hours away so I can't afford to do lots of trips.

Yes they've suggested that, though I don't know how that works really. The rescue is 1.5/2 hours away so I can't afford to do lots of trips.

You rescue date in one trip. Your piggy/piggies meets the rescue pig/piggies on neutral ground (usually in an indoors run) to see how they react with other. That helps weeding out the worst fails. If a rescue has several potential candidates, you usually start either with the one you like best or the most likely match, but you can then go on to another date after a short rest if acceptance has not happened or things are not looking promising.

As acceptance usually happens within 5-30 minutes, it doesn't take very long to get an idea where a meeting is heading, especially when the rescuer/fosterer is experienced. This ensures that you only come home with piggies where initial acceptance/mutual liking has happened.

If it is any encouragement to you, I have done it several times over these kind of distances with great success. In some cases travelling much further and by train - in one case up from Coventry to Stoke-on-Trent with 3 piggies and back with 4! Three years on, rescue dated husboar Bedo is still with me... ;)
But it has always been worth it as your piggies have other criteria when looking for a new mate than you do. But seeing your piggies happy makes you inevitably fall in love with your new arrival even if it is not your own first choice!
Daily Care, Travel and Climate

I bonded a neutered boar with 3 settled sows, he was very "excited" so meet the ladies, and wooed them, in fact he was very "wooed" and was scolded several times for helping himself without asking! :)) they've settled down now and all cuddle up together. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back