• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Introducing Two Boars

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie-elizabeth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have read through all the bonding sticky threads on here but still need a little bit of advice please! My Joey and new baby boar (he is around 4 months) have been side by side since Sunday. How much longer should I leave them before introducing them properly, or doesn't it matter? I have noticed the odd rumble from Joey and slight teeth chattering from both only a couple of times. They have laid down and eaten side by side and plenty of sniffing/nose touching etc through the bars.
I am going to introduce them on the floor, with plenty of hay, veg etc - how long do they need to be left on the floor before it is safe to put them both in a clean cage together? A few hours, the whole day, overnight? (providing they get on of course!) I have read up on warning signs and when to separate etc.
Thank you for any help x

I can't really help as I have read all the sticks and still not 100% myself. I have 2 boars that didn't really get on but now get on fine but I got my 2 together. I hope someone can give you the advice soon

Expect Wiebke will pick up on your thread soon, she is the best one to advise you. I have just bonded two boars and was very lucky that they got on straight away!

Expect Wiebke will pick up on your thread soon, she is the best one to advise you. I have just bonded two boars and was very lucky that they got on straight away!
yes she has some great advice and has helped me before :) hopefully I'll be as lucky as you but I know it may not work out!

Turned out I had some time tonight so I let them meet..
It didn't go too well. Fine to begin with, then new boar kept showing his teeth and very loud teeth chattering, both teeth chattered quite loudly and circled each other, both stressed squeaking, then new boar really pounced at Joey and it looked as though they were going to fight so I stepped in - did I do the right thing to separate them at that point? I think I read the warning signs right but i don't know if I was too hasty. When I put them back into their cages side by side the teeth chattering and stressed squeaking continued. What are your thoughts on where to go from now @Wiebke?

Turned out I had some time tonight so I let them meet..
It didn't go too well. Fine to begin with, then new boar kept showing his teeth and very loud teeth chattering, both teeth chattered quite loudly and circled each other, both stressed squeaking, then new boar really pounced at Joey and it looked as though they were going to fight so I stepped in - did I do the right thing to separate them at that point? I think I read the warning signs right but i don't know if I was too hasty. When I put them back into their cages side by side the teeth chattering and stressed squeaking continued. What are your thoughts on where to go from now @Wiebke?

You were right to separate. You can try again on another day and after a buddy bath, but I would not hold my breath. Some pairings are just not meant to be. :(

Hi @Wiebke I tried again today - they have been together about an hour now. There has still been teeth chattering but not as loud and not all the time. They have had several nose offs and ive seen a few nips/pounces at each other - then they carry on chutting around. Joey has made a submissive squeal once. At the moment they are sat eating from the same pile of hay. Do you think I should separate because they are still lunging/nipping and teeth chattering at each other or carry on waiting it out?

Carry on and wait it out as long as there are no real tiffs. The crack point is usually how they react after their first nap together.

I bonded 2 boars in April 2014. I didnt sleep a wink that first night they were together! Ours had a fair bit of rumblestrutting, in fact even now Rupert the younger one is always wiggling his bum around the cage but Rory the eldest has got thathe just ignores him haha! We left our boys to work out minor disputes Rupert tries to dominate but always backs down. They get on well and they are both happy, however every so often we witness teeth chattering but they always sort it out and thankfully have never had to step in or seperate them. I really hope it works out for your boars i will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it's looking good so far *touch wood*! After no major disputes I put them into a fresh cage last night and all seems to be going well. They're currently munching their pellets together.

Attachments

• DSC_0463.JPG
    DSC_0463.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back