• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chonkerz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey,

My pig has had this lump for a while now in her eye. We never thought anything of it since she didn’t seem distressed and my family was telling me I was being paranoid and looking for stuff to be wrong with her. I took her to the vets for an appointment about a UTI and he had a look and said it could be irritation from hay poke that had happened a few months before which my old vet told us to treat with only salt water. There was a teeny bit of blood on the hay so I think it pierced her skin on lower lid. Now it’s left her with this bump, she was on the eye drops for 3 weeks and it improved but now I have run out of eye drops and it stays like this. The vet mentioned it might not go away fully, but I don’t want to leave it to get worse. I’m going to the vets on Wednesday for an issue with my other pig and will show this picture, has anyone’s pigs had a similar experience?

82B4F66D-0093-4621-AE04-2C93A0AB5160.jpeg

Only a vet can tell you how to continue treatment and it's really hard to tell from the picture. Is this little 'lump' on the lower eyelid or on the eye itself? Could it be conjunctivitis?
My piggies' eye problems usually took more than one trip to the vet. One to diagnose and at least one more to see how the treatment went and if we had to continue.
Conjunctivitis and damages to the cornea can take quite a while to heal. Sometimes antibiotic eye cream is more effective.

Only a vet can tell you how to continue treatment and it's really hard to tell from the picture. Is this little 'lump' on the lower eyelid or on the eye itself? Could it be conjunctivitis?
My piggies' eye problems usually took more than one trip to the vet. One to diagnose and at least one more to see how the treatment went and if we had to continue.
Conjunctivitis and damages to the cornea can take quite a while to heal. Sometimes antibiotic eye cream is more effective.
Okay went to the vet today for a check up about this, he flushed her eye out at first to see if maybe there was hay stuck under or in the lump but nothing came out. He then used a little cotton stick thing to have a feel at them and get a better look and they bounced back with the pressure. So he thinks it is either pea eye (a glandular kind of variation since it’s bumpy) or just swollen glands, maybe scar tissue because of the hay poke she has had in the past. He said it is fine as long as it’s more pinkish than red, she isn’t itching at it and there’s no pus. Obviously if anything changed then she’d need another check up but for now he says it’s fine to leave.

Glad because she hated her eye drops and it really doesn’t seem to bother her.

Back