• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is 3x3 c&c cage big enough for 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey&Gizmo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can someone also tell me what that is in squared feet?

I maybe adding a hay loft too so that would be 3 grids across as well, with two small ramps either side so that allows for two exits, as sometimes the boys like their own space from one another.rolleyes

Also do the grids need to sit inside the correx box or outside? I thought inside as i can lift it all up so its easier to clean,rather than taking it apart from the stand. (I shall also be making a stand from the grids.)

Thank you. :)

I'd say no especially for boys.

3x14/12=3.5x2 = 7sq ft

3x14/12=3.5
1x14/12=1.16

3.5x1.16 =4 sq ft

to be honest even with the loft I'd say it's a bit small unless your boys get on really well but then again what do I know :))

Oh and the correx sits inside the grid cage as a general rule.

so a 4x2 would best with a hay loft?

this is all very confusing, i shall have to try and do a few ways before we cut the correx.

:)

If I were you I'd check to see what you can fit in the space available and work from there hun. I do think boys would do better with as much room as you can give them so the bigger you can fit okay the better ;)

Thats what I'm going to do now. Try the 4x2 and then if i can go bigger i shall do a 4x3, but i think i will manage a 4x2 but thats still ok for 2 isnt it?

2x4=8 square units
3x3=9 square units, so a 3x3 gives you more ground space than a 2x4 set-up.

So which is best a 3x3 with a hay loft or a 4x2 with a hay loft, for space wise i mean? As from what niki says the 3x3 would be bigger compared to the 4x2 is that correct?

Hun are you wanting the largest sq footage? and the hayloft on either would it be 1 deep?

Ive just posted pictures of the 4x2. I'm so confused now.

Yes i would like to make it the largest squared feet, including the hay loft which is 2 grids across and then 4 on the floor for the 4x2 and for the 3x3 it would 3 across and 6 on the floor, if you get what i mean. mallethead

Having had many 2x4's, and a 3x3 with 1x3 loft, I would say 3x3. I much prefer wider cages for larger groups/boys as it gives them more space to get past each other if they're not in the best of moods!

Hun I'm holding my hands up to say I had a senior moment earlier yet again when I calculated the sq footage for you.

3x3 with a 1x3 loft gives you a nice large cage of approx 16.31sq ft
4x2 with a 1x2 loft gives you a nice cage of approx 13.51 sq ft

I hope this makes sense and I haven't really confused you completely and I most humbly apologise for my previous error I was thinking one thing and unfortunately used what I was thinking to times with. mallethead

2x4 should be no problem if they generally get on well. Elijah and Errol are in a 2x4 - they decided to keep the location and just downsize by one grid, rather than move and keept the same size! :))

Hun I'm holding my hands up to say I had a senior moment earlier yet again when I calculated the sq footage for you.

3x3 with a 1x3 loft gives you a nice large cage of approx 16.31sq ft
4x2 with a 1x2 loft gives you a nice cage of approx 13.51 sq ft

I hope this makes sense and I haven't really confused you completely and I most humbly apologise for my previous error I was thinking one thing and unfortunately used what I was thinking to times with. mallethead

Loft space is generally not counted in cage size...and I know it doesn't seem to make sense as you'd think that extra floor gives them more space. I thought it for years when I had huge multi-level cages (at one stage a 4 level 2x4).

Extra floors do give more space, but the guidelines on Guinea Pig Cages apply to the first floor only, upper levels are not counted. This is because if every pig in the cage is on the same floor, there needs to be plenty of room.

I know it kind of makes sense and kind of doesn't...but it does in my experience. :))

Loft space is generally not counted in cage size...and I know it doesn't seem to make sense as you'd think that extra floor gives them more space. I thought it for years when I had huge multi-level cages (at one stage a 4 level 2x4).

Extra floors do give more space, but the guidelines on Guinea Pig Cages apply to the first floor only, upper levels are not counted. This is because if every pig in the cage is on the same floor, there needs to be plenty of room.

I know it kind of makes sense and kind of doesn't...but it does in my experience. :))

Well in that case I officially retire from sq footage. Thank you and good night.:))

Oh my goodness that is so complicated Laura. So which is best floor-wise the 3x3 or 4x2 I'm rubbish at maths. :(

Dont worry about getting the calculations wrong Modwyn as i cant even work it out! :))

OK, 2X4 is the minimum two piggies should have, the 2 wide is the minimum width, the length is more important as piggies like to run laps and pop corn like crazy! with two boys bigger is better. can you do 2X5? I think that'd be better for two boys. As I say, the longer the length the better. But saying that, if you could do 3X4, I think they'd be really happy and excitable!

Oh my goodness that is so complicated Laura. So which is best floor-wise the 3x3 or 4x2 I'm rubbish at maths. :(

Dont worry about getting the calculations wrong Modwyn as i cant even work it out! :))

4x2 is much better imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back