• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

IS ANYONE ALLERGIC TO GUINEA PIGS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAM

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of humans being allergic to guinea pigs? I have 6 piggies and had the first 2 in June. About a month ago one of my eyes started watering for no reason and the eyelid became puffy and sore. I went to the doctors who said it was conjunctivitus which I didnt think it was as it is highly contagious and my husband and son haven't had it, so she gave me drops which have been useless. Someone suggested that I may be allergic my babies! :'(

Has anyone else had this?

It doesnt matter if I am allergic to the piggies fur or something, I can put up with the eye - I could never be without my guinea pigs!

People can be allergic to anything. I have a friend whos allergic to the dye used in bank notes! Animal allergys are common have you thought of asking your doctor for anti-histamines. It could also be the animals bedding your allergic to.

You can be allergic to them...my sister goes all blotchy if she comes in contact :laugh:

If they are indoor pigs make sure that plenty of air is getting around to reduce the dander (?) lingering about O0

Try a search for a product called (I think) Petal Cleanse - it's good for people with cat fur allergies. It may help you :)

rebecca, who is new here too... is allergic to her guinea pig humbug and any other boys, but she seems fine with my girls.....

i am slightly allergic to mine, they affect my breathing but only a tiny amount, not much of a problem, have an inhaler if i need it.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I think I'll try anti histamines as they are for allergies and see how that goes. :smitten:

My friend has a few problems around mine however, it seems to have settled a bit since I changed bedding. I am a severe asthmatic and need not only my inhaler but a nebuliser which has to be carried most places with me yet my piggies have caused any problems for me at all (thank goodness)

:) I`m allergic to mine.......I`m OK in handling them, but I have to wear long sleeves because if they come in contact to my inner arms I come out in a rash. Also get itchy eyes if I rub my eyes after I cuddle them. Just have to remember to wash my hands everytime I do something with my boys. You can manage if you are allerergic to them. :) :) :)

Diane

I am allergic to the hay. I have tried so many different ones, the dustier ones are the worst. I now use hay from www.dustfreehay.co.uk
Always wash you hands straight after handling them and the hay etc, that should help :)

If you read the freeads then there are HUNDREDS of people allergic to them!

I sympathise though - I am slightly allergic to mine, but its not anything too bad - just make sure I wash my hands after handling them.

One of my daughters is slightly allergic to the piggies,but she too washes her hands properly after holding them,if she is helping me clean them out she will take a Piriton tablet an hour b4 which does the trick ;)sx

I'm allergic to mine too, my skin gets hot and itchy and if I don't put the piggie down I start to get sore and itchy eyes. Simple anti-histimines sort me out. Tesco do a week's supply in their own brand for 95p. :)

Hi there i am glad i have read this because i need to know all your appinions on this i have kept pigs for 9 yrs but 2 weeks ago started iching so went to the doctors he said something i am in contact with i am allergic to now i am worried i might be allergic to my pigs

I am so glad I posted this thread as it has been of great help. My eyes have been so sore and itchy, not so much the eye ball itself but the eye lid. Today I took 2 teaspoons of Zirtek Allgergy Medicine and my eyes today have been the best they've been for a while. It's really weird though as I had my first 2 girls in June and only a month ago this thing started with my eyes. Hopefully I now have it under control.Thanks for all of your replies :smitten: I love this forum, it's so helpful! :smitten: Thanks!

Not badly, I'm fine with the smoothies but my two teddies, specially Molly (she's older), make my skin itch and come up in little bumps

I don't think I'm allergic to mine (well maybe I am a bit but it's mild) but the woodshavings and hay give me asthma. I can handle the piggies if I wash my hands straight after, otherwise I get sore eyes too.

I'm moving mine outside because of the allergies.

I am allergic to the hay (asthma and rashes), and noticed in the warmer weather that I get rashes after contact with my piggies - I'm OK if handling them with long sleeves.

PS The allergies is why we have to have them in the shed - otherwise would have loved them indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back