• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is Burgess excel marigold and dandelion hay Timothy?

BearAndPanda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went to my local pet shop and saw they had some Burgess excel hay and I’m wondering if it was Timothy hay since I need high fibre hay

Yes it is Timothy hay.
i personally consider this kind of ‘flavoured’ hay as a treat hay

:agr: All hay is high fibre. Did you get your piggy seen for the diarrhoea?

We've recently had our first bag of this (quite pricey) treat for George to take his mind off things, and he is extremely taken with it! What confused me slightly was that it was labelled 'feeding hay' as I've never seen a bag of hay labelled 'not for feeding'! It smells really nice and there are some really long thick bits which he chews for an age... he loves it. There are also some fluffy bits which look pretty but he doesn't touch - but I'd get it again.

I noticed this thread as latches what I am feed. This is the hay I have been feeding to my piggies. When mentioned as treat hay is there a reason to get another type and save this as a treat?

The dandelion is what would stop me feeding it as main hay. Dandelions should only be given as a treat, they’re high in calcium.

I have a bag of this at the moment, but I have to say I haven't found much dandelion or marigold in it.
@Free Ranger , I think it says "feeding hay" to distinguish it from hay suitable for bedding. Being timothy hay, it's too stalky and rough to be bedding - as well as too expensive!

There was quite a lot of marigold in a bag I bought once. The piggies turned their noses up at it, a you imagine! 😒

I guess Burgess can't make the amount the same in every pack. My 3 love marigold, which is just as well, as I'm growing a big patch just for them (and the bees) :D:drool:

Mine weren't interested in it at all 🙄 so much for giving them a treat!

I thought it was 'treat hay' because it's so pricey compared to our normal hay! :xd:

I think it says "feeding hay" to distinguish it from hay suitable for bedding. Being timothy hay, it's too stalky and rough to be bedding - as well as too expensive!

Of course! Now I'm feeling a little foolish - although I have seen bags of Timothy hay which looked much less rough than this so perhaps this is the quality stuff! Interestingly George hasn't been embedding himself in the pile which is his usual way of laying claim to anything new... if we bring grass he always ends up 'nesting'. When we had the two girls they had to try and eat it out from under him!

(PS: We are still awaiting word from the local rescue about their pair of females...)

Back