• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is Damien Lonely Or Depressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaBelfast

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So around 4 months ago Damien went in for an operation to get a lump removed from his back and his little man bits taken away as he was very aggressive with the other pigs and we thought it would be best for him to be housed with a female. We have a few questions before getting him a female. The other boars cages are close to Damiens, if there was a female with Damien could this annoy the other boars (say when she is in heat?)? As one is housed alone also and then 3 together ( who get on amazing and never EVER fight). I keep their cages close as for company.

Damien is a year old and since the operation he is allot more calmer but I would start to think he is depressed? Never really comes out of his little box, he has now grew the nickname Turtle because he only ever pops his head out of the house or he shoves the house along while hes inside it, just like a shell lol . Damien is very petted and very used to being lifted so he is not afraid. :) Would I be able to get him a young girl? or would I have to get one around the same age as him? Is there any chance of them fighting and hating each other?

My main concern is really annoying the other pigs with the sow being so close and then they start to fight...

Hope you can help me out :) <3
Picture of Damien Below <3

Damien.jpg

Hi!

Please wait a full 6 weeks after his operation to pair him up with a sow. I have got the unplanned daughter of a suposedly safe over 5 weeks post op boar (not one of mine) and have since heard of other cases, just to make that particular point!

Ideally, you keep sows and mixed pairs away from boars only pairs. if possible at the other end of a room or preferably below the boars rather than above in view of the sow pheromones. Always keep a mixed pair out of sight with an opaque divider (helps also to keep pheromones out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back