Is Fleece Bedding Hygienic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
2 weeks ago I started using cage liners instead of Fitch. The liners are so much easier to do poop patrols daily and never seem wet and the piggies seem to enjoy it too. I read that the cage liners should be washed at 40 degrees and then I wondered if washing it at 40 would actually kill any germs. Whereas with the Fitch it was fresh stuff going in at every clean. I do of course disinfect the cage too. Then tonight I stumbled upon this... http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/fleecebedding.html whoever wrote it seriously dislikes fleece bedding but some points they made reflected my own. What worried me a bit is that it says piggies who have been moved on to fleece can develop health issues but I'm assuming that's if they are not changed regularly and kept in filthy, soaking cages right? Any opinions?

Also, we bought Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleaner with the intention of using it for the piggies stuff as it says it kills 99.9% bacteria even when washed at 40 degrees. Do you think this would be ok to use?

With fleece it is cheaper but admittedly it does need constant management and keeping on top of. Most people on here poo pick a couple times a day if they have the time or Hoover the fleece

When I used fleece liners I was swapping them out every day to allow them to dry out before reusing.

I read somewhere that using a white vinger mix is quite effective for washing fleece as well as disinfecting.

With fleece it is cheaper but admittedly it does need constant management and keeping on top of. Most people on here poo pick a couple times a day if they have the time or Hoover the fleece

When I used fleece liners I was swapping them out every day to allow them to dry out before reusing.

I read somewhere that using a white vinger mix is quite effective for washing fleece as well as disinfecting.
Yeh I poop pick everyday and haven't noticed any problems. No smells or anything. Ahh I see, I thought vinegar just helped with any odour.

I switched from recycled paper to fleece and I really think the pigs like it so much more. I don't speak pig or anything but they're far more active on it :) I was hesitant because I would normally do a complete overhaul of the paper bedding every four days (that was with just two pigs and half of the time it didn't even need to be fully replaced- apparently the pee was just disappearing into thin air! For some reason with the paper bedding they only pooped and peed in one corner which was fantastic but I found the paper messy! It would cling to their feet and their fleece snuggles like crazy so when I picked them up it was all over me, the floor, etc. LOL!). With the fleece bedding I strip it and wash it every two days (I just do a warm/warm cycle) and it comes out quite well. I do put it in an old pillowcase to protect the filter on the washer (hay and whatnot that sticks to the bedding). I shop vac the poop every evening before they get their veggies and the fleece does such a good job at wicking away the moisture, I rarely feel a wet spot. I like that with the fleece I can also bring it up around the sides of the cage to prevent drafts or contact with the bars. I'm in love with the fleece idea! I've also heard that you don't want to use a softener while washing fleece as it ruins it somehow? Not sure of the validity of that though! I hope it works out for you!

It must be washed at 60 to kill the bacteria. Washing at 40 will only make it look clean.

I switched from recycled paper to fleece and I really think the pigs like it so much more. I don't speak pig or anything but they're far more active on it :) I was hesitant because I would normally do a complete overhaul of the paper bedding every four days (that was with just two pigs and half of the time it didn't even need to be fully replaced- apparently the pee was just disappearing into thin air! For some reason with the paper bedding they only pooped and peed in one corner which was fantastic but I found the paper messy! It would cling to their feet and their fleece snuggles like crazy so when I picked them up it was all over me, the floor, etc. LOL!). With the fleece bedding I strip it and wash it every two days (I just do a warm/warm cycle) and it comes out quite well. I do put it in an old pillowcase to protect the filter on the washer (hay and whatnot that sticks to the bedding). I shop vac the poop every evening before they get their veggies and the fleece does such a good job at wicking away the moisture, I rarely feel a wet spot. I like that with the fleece I can also bring it up around the sides of the cage to prevent drafts or contact with the bars. I'm in love with the fleece idea! I've also heard that you don't want to use a softener while washing fleece as it ruins it somehow? Not sure of the validity of that though! I hope it works out for you!
Fabric softener stops the fabric from wicking. Fleece most be washed at least 60. Any lower will not kill the bacteria.

Personally I feel the best bedding for guinea pigs is vet bed. This is actually designed to wick away urine yet the material is breathable. I think fleece is better then shavings though but vet bed is even better. I would always wash at 60 degrees to kill bacteria.

Personally I feel the best bedding for guinea pigs is vet bed. This is actually designed to wick away urine yet the material is breathable. I think fleece is better then shavings though but vet bed is even better. I would always wash at 60 degrees to kill bacteria.
Do you buy online? I found the website at www.vetbedcanada.com- but do you know if one might be able to find it elsewhere?

Thanks for that. I will wash the cage liner at 60 next time. When I bought them it said to only wash at 40 but I don't mind if they shrink a bit as they are a bit too big for the cage just now :)

I wash usually wash fleece at 60, but if i need to do a 40degree wash for speed, i use vanish extra hygiene powder along with my usual powder as it killed 99percent of bacteria.

I wash my fleece cage liners at 40 or 50 degrees and use Dettol Laundry Cleanser to kill bacteria.
I washed a liner just last week, folded it up and put it in the airing cupboard. Only the exposed area got dry. The rest stayed damp and got smelly so I had to wash it again. This time, I put it in the tumble dryer. It took two 40 minute spins to get it really dry. I won't be washing my liners in winter again!

I wash my fleece cage liners at 40 or 50 degrees and use Dettol Laundry Cleanser to kill bacteria.
I washed a liner just last week, folded it up and put it in the airing cupboard. Only the exposed area got dry. The rest stayed damp and got smelly so I had to wash it again. This time, I put it in the tumble dryer. It took two 40 minute spins to get it really dry. I won't be washing my liners in winter again!
That's the dettol stuff I have got so maybe it would be ok to wash at 40 if I was using that? hmm I dunno haha

I use the dettol rinse when washing fleeces and have had no problems, did check very carefully that the piggies did not react to it adversely though! I use ordinary fleece blankets on top of paper sheeting and find that the fleece wicks away the wee very effectively. The fleece certainly makes the pen floor lovely and warm to the touch. Each morning I poo pick ( which I do at bedtime as well),and then shake the soiled fleeces outside, wash and either line dry them or pop over a clothes horse overnight then into the airing cupboard to finish drying. I do realise that lots of owners, and piggies!, have their own preferences for bedding materials and what works for one may not be suitable for another

I love fleece now I have my Ziggy liners - the liners get washed at 60 degrees on a short wash (recommended at 40 but they come out fine) and they come out really clean - I then let them dry overnight and they are dry the next day usually.

I also bought some lap pads to place in the high poop areas of the cage so I can easily lift and drop the poop into their litter/hay tray when cleaning during the day and this keeps the liner cleaner for longer. Going to buy more soon so I can replace some while others are in the wash.

I have found doing this means that there are no smells and the liners stay clean enough until they get washed every 2-3 days when I do a full cage clean. I tend to brush the poop in the morning first thing when I get up, give the cage a quick poop clean mid afternoon and then once more before I go to bed - keeps the number of poops down.

I find doing the routine with the brush and pan thing relaxing like you would with a Zen garden - now thats wierd!:lol!:

You can wash at a lower temperature in an emergency, but normally, 60 C is what you need long term in order to kill the majority of bugs. As long as you do that, there is no increase of skin problems or UTI. Make sure that your fleece is dry before you fold it up.

I have been using fleece for 5 years now with a fair number of guinea pigs.

I love fleece now I have my Ziggy liners - the liners get washed at 60 degrees on a short wash (recommended at 40 but they come out fine) and they come out really clean - I then let them dry overnight and they are dry the next day usually.

I also bought some lap pads to place in the high poop areas of the cage so I can easily lift and drop the poop into their litter/hay tray when cleaning during the day and this keeps the liner cleaner for longer. Going to buy more soon so I can replace some while others are in the wash.

I have found doing this means that there are no smells and the liners stay clean enough until they get washed every 2-3 days when I do a full cage clean. I tend to brush the poop in the morning first thing when I get up, give the cage a quick poop clean mid afternoon and then once more before I go to bed - keeps the number of poops down.

I find doing the routine with the brush and pan thing relaxing like you would with a Zen garden - now thats wierd!:lol!:
Zen garden- that made me smile! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back