Is Hetty Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suze5202

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As some of you know, one of my pigs passed away this week. I had two bonded pairs which I put together to make a small herd of four. They all got on well together and two didn't seem that bothered when Mabel died. But Hetty, her partner for over a year, seems very withdrawn and sad. She very rarely leaves the sleeping area of their hutch and isn't her usual happy self. Will this pass? I know pigs grieve but surely the fact she's not alone should help?

I just want to do the right thing for my girls.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Pining is always very worrying when a piggy passes; generally, it is less frequent in a group, but if two of the piggies have had a very close bond, it can happen.

Could you please add your country, state or UK county to your details. We have got people from all over the world. My recommendations will largely depend on what options you have available locally; this varies widely. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww... I'm so sorry for her. I don't have any useful advice because I've always had pairs, so I've never had a situation with a bereavement within a preexisting group. We've always gone from a pair to a single piggy bonding with a new friend so I've got no experience here. I just want to send you and Hetty good wishes.

Suze5202

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you. Your kind words are lovely. Hetty is up and down, bit like a human I suppose. Tilly and Coco are looking after her, but she must still miss Mabel. If I had room I'd think about finding her a neutered boyfriend but I don't have the space for two cages. And I'm not sure another member of the herd is the right thing either. We'll just have to see what happens I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.