Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No....it's SuperPudding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is a serious question about flying piggies......no, seriously......I want to know about flying piggies......oh, okay.....I'll tell you about the new trick that my naughty little adrenaline junkie, Pudding, has learned........then I'll need some advice!

Pudding and Squeak are very happy in their new 5' indoor cage.....which has a lovely big mezzanine level with low 'railings' around it. The mezzanine is above roughly a third of the main floor area, and rests about 10" above the base of the cage, and the railings are about 2" high.

Last night, I watched Pudding leaning over the railings, grab the chain of the (empty) treat-ball (which I hang from the railings) and try to pull it up onto the mezzanine level, with no luck.

He soon got bored of that game, so then he started leaning and stretching over the railings and sniffing, and it was pretty obvious that he was sussing out whether or not it was safe to jump. Well, he obviously thought it was safe to jump, and off he went!

That must've been a fun game for little Pud, and about 5 minutes later, he ran back up the ladder to the mezzanine and jumped off again, no hesitation this time rolleyes

Anyway, it was very funny to watch, and he was obviously having a whale of a time, but, seriously, isn't this a very dangerous activity for a piggy? Should I put up some kind of 'anti-jump' devise to stop him from doing this? I don't want him to hurt himself!

Tracey

PS - it might be worth mentioning that that had just gone back into the cage after about half an hour of floor time, so it's not like they needed to let off steam!

Last edited:

Cinnamon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ahh Piggies can entertain themselves in the weirdest way.

My Cinnamon one night jumped out of her cage which is high (to keep away from the cat even though he is NOT allowed in the bathroom)
and my brother found her near the toliet, at 1-4 am!
Shes fine, but she was pretty lucky! I am so happy my brother rescued her!:))

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hahahaha :)) Awww bless! Artie, when he was in the indoor cage used to do the exact same thing jump, run back up, onto the mezzanine floor and jump back off again, for about ten minutes every night - barmy! Funny old pigs! :))

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
My first guinea pigs used to do jump up and down from their mezzanine and to get in and out of their cage with no ill effect as long as the lower floor is well bolstered.

I have one or two corners in my current cage that can only be reached by jumping up and down, which keep it the exclusive resort of a couple of piggies.

MerryPip

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my boys is slightly suicidal and prefers jumping off higher things! If I leave him on the sofa and turn round to get his cuddle cup or something then by the time I turn back he'll be on the floor running round my feet. They seem to be fairly resilient tho I wouldn't like him jumping any further than that. He'd give it a try though. He has made a few bids off the arm or back of the sofa before being rescued at the last minute!

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Phew, so he's not a bit......erm.....special then! I was worried he'd do himself a mischief jumping around like that. Piggies don't seem to have a body designed for jumping! LOL!

Tracey

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Some just love it!

My dedicated high jumper and stair climber Minx:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Sooo cute! You have lovely piggies there!

Tracey

Minx and Mischief were my first two piggies when I started having them again. Sadly, both have passed away a few years ago, but they have left me with some wonderful memories.

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aw, I'm really sorry you've lost them, they looked very sweet piggies x) But like you say, the memories they leave are precious. x

Status
Not open for further replies.