Is it harmful?

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi.
To line my guinea pigs cage, I use a foamy kind of rubber sheet, and then I use newspaper. I have noticed that Teddy has found the foam part and enjoys chewing it, is it harmful and will he be okay? I thought I’d ask because I am slightly worried. I thought he wouldn’t eat that part, Berty hasn’t found it though. He does have plenty of hay, cardboard and wooden chew toys in his cage. I have cut that part off so no more foam is longer visible. But now I’m worried he will actually chew the cage (it’s a wooden hutch). I always have nightmares of them escaping and I find them wondering down the road. Thank you.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone suggest anything else? I have seen people use puppy pads!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the foam/rubber sheet? Is it just a layer to protect the wood of the hutch?
Puppy pads are a great alternative as they are absorbent and help to keep the top layer of bedding dry, although some piggies may still find them and chew them.
I line my hutch with a piece of plastic sheeting to protect the Wood. They have found it and they have chewed it in places but I jusf try to make sure the bedding is deep enough or covered enough to hide it

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the foam/rubber sheet? Is it just a layer to protect the wood of the hutch?
Puppy pads are a great alternative as they are absorbent and help to keep the top layer of bedding dry, although some piggies may still find them and chew them.
I line my hutch with a piece of plastic sheeting to protect the Wood. They have found it and they have chewed it in places but I jusf try to make sure the bedding is deep enough or covered enough to hide it
It is used to protect the hutch! We do use fleece, but sometimes when they popcorn or run around, it lifts a bit. Is it toxic?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It is used to protect the hutch! We do use fleece, but sometimes when they popcorn or run around, it lifts a bit. Is it toxic?
I wouldn’t think it’s toxic but obviously you don’t want them eating something which isn’t food!
perhaps try using something flatter/thinner then like a plastic sheet, old plastic tablecloth etc which is less likely to move when they move. I don’t have any such problems (other than the odd bit of chewing but that is easily dealt with) with plastic moving with either of my beddings (I use a mixture of hay areas and fleece areas in my shed)

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think it’s toxic but obviously you don’t want them eating something which isn’t food!
perhaps try using something flatter/thinner then like a plastic sheet, old plastic tablecloth etc which is less likely to move when they move. I don’t have any such problems (other than the odd bit of chewing but that is easily dealt with) with plastic moving with either of my beddings (I use a mixture of hay areas and fleece areas in my shed)
That’s a great idea! I used to use half fleece and half sawdust, but the sawdust just got annoying, it was dusty and it would fly everywhere and spot cleaning got annoying. But I will definitely look into getting a thin piece of plastic. I do have a plastic tablecloth but i use it in the run. Also, because the hutch walls are wooden, I saw a post on here and someone stuck something on the wall to make it wipeable, but then someone said not to because it isn’t breath able and it would get hot. What do you think, I know it’s off topic but could I put a sheet of plastic on the walls to make it wipeable or leave it. Thank you!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I only have plastic on the floor to protect the wood, i then put down an absorbent layer and then the bedding layer on top. I personally wouldn’t put anything on the walls. It’s just another opportunity for them to chew something inedible!

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I only have plastic on the floor to protect the wood, i then put down an absorbent layer and then the bedding layer on top. I personally wouldn’t put anything on the walls. It’s just another opportunity for them to chew something inedible!
Okay, thank you!