• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is it normal for a guinea pig to pee this white stuff out?

Cal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Guinea pig is a girl and this white looking liquid came out of here, I don’t know what it is, apparently it’s normal but I’m not sure.

It’s only a concern that’s all.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If it is urine, then it can be normal for their urine to be milky and cloudy but if it feels gritty then it can indicate there is a too much calcium in the diet. If it isn’t urine, then she needs to see a vet.

Cal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It was just white, it was a liquid and there was nothing in it, it was milky and cloudy and It did come out of her vagina and I’m pretty sure it was urine. Should I be worried?

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is possibly just urine but we cannot say - you should see a vet if you are concerned.
What is her daily diet?

Cal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She has Hay all the time everyday as that is needed and she also has nuggets (nuggets with mint, suitable for all ages, it’s called burgees, 92% of vets recommend excel.) in her bowl. She has spinach, cucumber, red pepper and cabbage (savoy cabbage). She’s only done it once just then and hasn’t done it again and she’s still acting normal.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes, hay needs to be available constantly. Pellets should be kept strictly limited to one tablespoon per pig per day. They should not have constant access to pellets. My pigs get their one tablespoon of pellets, I then leave them with them for about 45 minutes and then the bowls get taken away and they don’t get them back until the next day.
Spinach is too high in calcium to be fed every day - it should only be given once or twice a week.
You should filter drinking water if you live in a hard water area to help reduce calcium intake.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Cal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay thank you for letting me know I’ll make sure to not give any more spinach and I’ll make sure to only give teaspoons of nuggets/pellets from now on, thank you for the help. So it’s nothing bad?

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Burgess excel pellets are fine to feed, but they contain alfalfa (also known as Lucerne). Alfalfa is also high in calcium so as you can see there is a chance she is getting too much calcium from her diet combined with daily spinach. Keep pellets limited so she isn’t taking in too much.

The calcium process is complex and any changes take a while to have an effect so reducing pellets and cutting down spinach and any other calcium rich foods won’t have an instant impact. It’s about balance though - they need calcium, but excessive amounts can lead to bladder issues and Stone formation.

Cal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay thank you I’ll definitely cut down on the pellets so it’s nothing to worry about if she doesn’t have as much pellets?

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay thank you I’ll definitely cut down on the pellets so it’s nothing to worry about if she doesn’t have as much pellets?
No it’s nothing to worry about if she hasn’t have as many. Pellets are supplementary (they help to fill in the nutrient intake gaps where the rest of the diet may be missing parts), they are absolutely not a main part of their diet and reducing them will benefit her overall health.

Reactions: Cal

Cal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay thank you I appreciate the help! I’ll make sure the nuggets/pellets is reduced.

Cal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Update: All my guinea pigs love the coriander, cabbage and yellow pepper, but I’ve not fed them loads of yellow pepper only one tiny slice each, but the spinach has been replaced with the coriander as they like the coriander and it’s also healthier and also they’ve only had teaspoons of nuggets as that seems to be more than enough! So that’s positive!

Cal

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a big positive that there all are enjoying themselves and liking the new things I’ve brought them! The one who peed the white stuff out is more than fine and she hasn’t peed any white stuff out ever since I mentioned it so that’s good and she is still playing and eating/drinking and is still loverable! Also the calcium has been cut down which is a good thing! Thanks again to everyone who replied for the help!