is it normal.

cloudy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello! it's my first time using this so I'm not sure if I'm on the wrong category or whatever but here I go!
two days ago someone gifted me a guinea pig , without a cage or anything , just the guinea pig in a little cardboard box. we managed to find a cage that's a little bit better than the box he was in ,I unfortunately can't afford getting a bigger one yet but I'm trying to save up money for it. since we didn't want him to be cold we cut the cardboard and made a little house with it so he could go in till we buy a new one but he has been chewing on the cardboard and eating it , I'm really scared cause I really love him and I want the best of him, how dangerous is the cardboard, should I remove it immediately m

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum

Please take time to look at these threads
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

First and foremost he will need hay and veggies to eat, hay must be unlimited it is vital for teeth and gut

Piggies will chew cardboard and there is nothing to worry about as long as plain cardboard

Where are you located? What size cage is he in?

Sweet Potato

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Piggies need really large cages and need to be kept in pairs or small groups. Try having a look at C&C cages, these are often the cheapest way to give them loads of space. Well done for taking him in I can see you care for him a lot hopefully you'll be able to give him a great life.

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ooh, you are in Crete, I visited a couple of years ago, so beautiful! Kalimera! (I don’t know how to spell it but I think I hope I just said Good Day!)

If you don’t have access to a cage do you have any big plastic boxes? Like the sort you put under your bed? You couldn’t put the lid on though so you need to be free from cats/dogs etc.

Its probably eating the cardboard because they need to eat almost all of the time. They grind down hay normally and so he will eat the cardboard if there is nothing else (although even with hay mine still enjoy a cardboard box!) Your biggest priority is to source hay as he really needs it to keep the gut moving.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Well done taking in this piggy.
You will find yourself on a steep learning curve but there is a lot of help here.
Check the care threads ( as linked by @sport_billy ) and ask questions.
Hope you enjoy yourself here as well as finding all the help you need

D

DM120421

you could have a look at c&c cages, they are usually always the right size and very affordable and easy to build!