• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is It Okay To Feed My Guinea Pig Two Cups Of Vegetables Per Day?

Aryel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I usually feed my guinea pig vegetables once in the morning and once at night or at around 5-6PM. Do most people just feed their guinea pig vegetables only once per day and have them eat pellets and hay the rest of the day? If I split it between night and morning, should I feed half a cup per time of day or one cup per time of day? I never really measured the amount of vegetables and just gave a moderate amount of eat vegetable. I only just realized one cup is so little. I was only able to fit this much:
IMG_3367.JPG Some lettuce and maybe 5-6 small bell pepper pieces about 1/2'' by 1/2". I realized I give it ALOT more than a cup everyday. Is it necessary to measure or not?

It varies from person to person

We feed ours this roughly this for two pigs
Morning:
2 x Cucumber (1.5cm by 1.5cm cube)
Half a stick Celery chopped
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
2 x Cucumber (1.5cm by 1.5cm cube)
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander. Twice a week we will swap in cabbage or parsley

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves, dill, green beans and a few other things occasionally

My piggies get plenty of veg every day, I never measure it. I feed the veg in the morning and plenty of hay in the evening. I only feed nuggets in the winter when they are not getting the benefit of sunshine and fresh grass, and even then not every day.

i would continue feeding as you have been

I generally measure mine, because I appreciate have a guideline to follow. I don't want my piggies to get overweight, and a cup seems like a reasonable amount. Its really not set in stone, sometimes I give a little more or less. Mine are packed down a bit to give more veggies and reduce the air.

I've been giving mine their veggies in the morning, unlimited hay 24/7 and then a small amount of pellets in the evening. I give them extra veggies during floor time and when I'm hand feeding to get them used to me. I don't measure the veg but I have used the guides on this forum to give me an idea of how much of each type to give.

My two young sows (they will be a year old in August) have unlimited hay and water about four handfulls of freshly picked grass per day through out the day and a couple og salad leaves, some corriander sprigs and a bit of pepper and cucumber. They get occasional apple and carrot too, mainly for bribing them to enjoy lap time.

I do 2 leafs of romane lettuce each as mine are still young a can use the extra calcium haven't noticed any white pee yet and 1/2 a bell pepper,a slice of zucchini 1 baby carrot ,and a small cherry tomato and once or twice a,week I give them a piece of orange or watermelon rin or a piece of apple ...they seem to like it ...this is for 2 males

My pair got this today:
IMG_9785.JPG

IMG_9796.JPG

Bit less variety than normal because I've not been feeling well. The key thing is that I built up the amount slowly, monitoring both their weight and poos.

I usually feed my guinea pig vegetables once in the morning and once at night or at around 5-6PM. Do most people just feed their guinea pig vegetables only once per day and have them eat pellets and hay the rest of the day? If I split it between night and morning, should I feed half a cup per time of day or one cup per time of day? I never really measured the amount of vegetables and just gave a moderate amount of eat vegetable. I only just realized one cup is so little. I was only able to fit this much:
View attachment 66060 Some lettuce and maybe 5-6 small bell pepper pieces about 1/2'' by 1/2". I realized I give it ALOT more than a cup everyday. Is it necessary to measure or not?
Sorry, I don't measure , I give them different veg each day of week usually and they're quite happy!

Back