is it possible to re-bond fallen out boars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm alittle confused about this. I understand that during the hormonal stage boars fall out and fight so have to be separate but after theyve cooled to ol' hormones down can they be re-introduced?

ill tell you my situation. Gizmo & dongle aren't happy being together so separated them. Mushkin is chilled out pig is happy with Gizmo or dongle so is with Gizmo. Dongle is Pixal who has just hit hormonal stage but dongle soon proved whos the boss. Gizmo and Pixal is a no no as Pixal believe it or not being much younger and smaller than Gizmo bullied him.

So to sum up Gizmo with Mushkin and Dongle is with Pixal. But before the hormonal stage kicked in they all lived together.

Is it possible to have a calm reunion or shall i just leave them be?

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So the boys you have are in two pairs at the moment? If so that would be the best way to keep it. To try to mix 4 males is normally a recipe for disaster - not only are you likely to end up with injuries but quite possibly it will affect the realtionship between the pairings and you could end up with 4 single boars.

Once they are all well over 15 months old and your have a minimum of 1sq m per pig as their living accommodation would you have much hope of it working.

Personally I wouldn't ever risk it and I'd let my boys live out their lives, happy with their cagemate.

Suzy x

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep them in their pairs i was just wondering if it is possible and just because the were all friends before i think Mushkin dongle and Pixal would get on but i couldnt leave Gizmo on his lonesome.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that there is a good chance that you'll end up with several single boars who won't want to be with any of the others!

As long as they are happy as they are, leave them be. Baby boars and adult boars are two different things - adult boars are wired to fight for the right to live with the herd of sows and babies, and father the next round of offspring; that instinct is always present as only one boar is the lucky at one at any time!

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They seem to be settled in their pairs so I'm just going to let them be. Thanks for the advice=)

Status
Not open for further replies.