• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is it still warm enough for outside play?

Sally Newbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
My pigs are still outside in their hutch and they have been in their run the last few days as well (or mostly sat in their hutch looking at their run). What temperature are they still ok to be out and about in - would love to catch a few more days outside for them but I am aware that it is getting cooler now.

If you can stand outside in your feet and they’re warm (not cold/cool underfoot) then it’s fine for them.

:agr:
Mine have been having some outside time all week and will continue to do so during warm, dry and sunny days until daytime temperatures are too low (15 degrees or less). They obviously don’t go out if the grass is wet so it can sometimes be much later in the day before they get their run time now as it is often quite wet on the grass during the mornings now.

They don't go on the actual grass at the moment but an overturned picnic rug because they are recovering from yet another tummy upset so I am still getting them back onto veg again. They walk about on the waterproof side of the rug. So that won't be as cold as the actual ground. 15 degrees just seems so high when it's a sunny day?!

They don't go on the actual grass at the moment but an overturned picnic rug because they are recovering from yet another tummy upset so I am still getting them back onto veg again. They walk about on the waterproof side of the rug. So that won't be as cold as the actual ground. 15 degrees just seems so high when it's a sunny day?!

As yours live outside in a hutch anyway, they arent exposed to a temperature change between the hutch and the run itself as they are within the outside temperature range anyway - obviously you need to keep them warm, but is not the same as living indoors and then being put outside as that is a great temperature fluctuation. If it is below 15 degrees, then keep them locked in their hutch. If it is warm, dry, sunny then they can go out.

If they felt cold, they would have sense to go back into their hutch wouldn't they........?!

I am just getting confused because when they move from outside into the shed, members have said that they can go out in their shed run unless 10 degrees so to me they could go outside - if they wanted to as the hutch is inside their outside run - down to 10 degrees as they are on a waterproof cover and not the grass?

When in the shed they are protected from the elements though - wind etc. It makes a difference to how warm it actually feels once temperatures start to come down.
Mine come out in the shed pretty much year round (although it’ll only be a short amount of time during winter itself as it’s easier to keep the hutch warm than the whole shed) but they stop going out in the run outside usually around October and don’t go back out into the run until around April/May. For it to be 10-15 degrees within my shed (and therefore fine for them to be free range in the ahed), it’s probably only 2-6 degrees outside so is far too cold directly outside. 10 degrees outside (too cold for them to be outside) and it’ll be more like 15-20 inside my shed so is perfectly fine for them to be free ranging in the shed. This is where there is the difference - no exposure to wind etc makes the difference.
If it was 10 degrees and they are still outside (Ie you’ve not yet moved them into the shed), then I probably wouldn’t let them out unless it was very sunny, completely dry and no wind. Yes they do have the option to take themselves back into the hutch and if were too cold they probably wouldn’t even come out, but

Last edited:
i bring as many of my outside piggies indoors from mid november .the ones that stay outside all year ,i do as piggie and buns has stated ! i use snugglesafe heat pads as the temps start to drop to below 6 degrees.just stuff hay in the hutch as much as i can get in,when temps get to 10 degrees.in my experience the guinea pigs cope much better with cooler weather than heat.as long as you take all measures to keep them warm.it is not ideal,but totally possible to keep them warm in the winter,mine go out in the run until it is too cold and wet,use fleece liner on top of the grass.:)

Back