Hello! I have a three-year-old guinea pig that has been having breathing problems recently. He was inbred (which we learned after adopting him) so he has always had quite a few issues (polydactyly, excess nail-like material behind ears, on the nose, and on the soles of his feet). However, I have been able to keep up with all of this and it proved to not be much of an issue. But, every Winter he gets a cold. It normally goes away within a week and I just run a steam shower for him and sit in the bathroom with him for a bit to help unclog his nose. This year it turned into a respiratory infection (it has lasted for months and he keeps getting the little eye crusties)and it just won't go away no matter what we do. We were going to bring him to the vet, but he has two decently large tumors (one under his nipple and the other on his side). We decided from the very beginning that we were just going to try to make him comfortable for as long as he has left because he has so much health stuff going on already and we know inbred piggies don't usually live as long. The tumors don't seem to hurt him, although he doesn't like when we touch the one around his nipple. He is still eating a lot, he has not lost any weight, and he still likes to explore around the house so we figured it wasn't time to put him down. The past two days his breathing got a lot better to the point that we had passed because you can normally hear his little breaths from the next room. But then today, it got a lot worse and it's very labored and his heartbeat feels pretty quick. I can tell that he is congested and has a lot of snot up there because it sounds almost crunchy when he breathes, but the steam showers aren't working that well anymore and I don't know what else we can do to help him. I don't want him to suffer which is why I am so conflicted. He is such a happy piggie and I just can't tell if it's time to let him go. I would really appreciate any insight you guys can offer and any tips you might have on possibly helping him to breathe better.