• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is it too cold for my piggies in the shed.

Fayld

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi after some advice please?
I have a double hutch in my shed which the door is open for them to roam around in the shed or back in the hutch as they please, the shed doors are open all day and I fitted with those magnetic mosquito netted blind door things so nothing can get in or out. I shut the doors & bolted around 5/6 & put a snuggle pad in the sleeping area at night. I also have a small tubular heater plugged in on a timer set for a couple of hours in the early hours each night as it's getting very cold now? But thinking of leaving it on all night? Is this warm enough 4 them or shall I buy an oil rad in there instead? Thanks

Have you got a thermometer in there so you know what the temperature actually is?
is there lots of hay and cosy hides for them to snuggle into?

You are ideally looking for a stable temperature controlled by a thermostatic heater - so that it comes on and off as it needs to to prevent fluctuations in temperature.

Last edited:
We bought a small digital freezer thermometer that hangs out of reach in the top of the girls home to monitor temp, we also fitted a greenhouse heater to the hutch too, which is adjustable and left on all the time to keep inside the hutch at a fairly stable temp. We cover with an old duvet and blankets at night and also use snuggle safes. Hope that is of help.

Thank you, they have fleece lining everywhere in the hutch and on the shed flooring, a warm soft cosy bed each with snuggle heat pad under them. I have an old bed mattress protector cut open and draped over the front of the cage as well. I'm leaving the tubular heater on all night and see how warm it is and it not doing the trick I'll buy a oil heater or just bring them in at night over the winter! Thanks guys

Is the fleece staying dry? Having fleece outside in winter can sometimes be a problem as it doesn’t always dry properly. It also doesn’t insulate at all - large piles of hay are needed really to insulate and keep them warm.

do you have a thermometer in the shed there?

No my thermometer is broken qas a cheap £1 one so need a new one.
Lots of hidy places so probably fine but I'm just paranoid has they feel bit cold in the morn
ing when I go in at 7am to feed them

No the fleece is not wet at all, no thermometer as it broke. I stopped bed hay as so messy, now just got hay to eat. My friend has a hutch outside all winter with hay and not even sure she has a cover but they have been fine 4 years! Maybe I'm being paranoid

If you bring them in you can’t put them outside again. The temperature fluctuations don’t do their health any good.

Does your friend stuff the hutch with hay? Also do four snuggle pads altogether. I have four for each pair. Two go on top of their hides and the other two outside their hides and covered in a little hay.

They would only come in from teatime till morning in my playroom which is quite cold anyway and they use to live in there b4 the summer so I'm sure the temp would be ok 4em

Back