• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

is it too early to see a vet?

cjmy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi hoping this forum could help.

my 3 year old Male guinea pig has has an abscess on his jaw and is booked in for a dental and to have it hopefully landed on friday, as arranged yesterday following a week of antibiotic.

he point blanks refuses syringe feed and wont drink from his bottle or eat at all. I'm wondering if at this point it is too early to call back and explain the situation if it's been only a day but in my heart I dont have the confidence he could pull through til friday like this. hes already been on antibiotics which helped in no form.

could anyone provide an opinion?

I would call and explain the situation and ask for a sooner appointment, good luck x

I would call straight away. If he is refusing syringe feed then it becomes an emergency. They may offer to keep him in overnight with round the clock feeding to build him up before an operation

I would call straight away. If he is refusing syringe feed then it becomes an emergency. They may offer to keep him in overnight with round the clock feeding to build him up before an operation
thank you, I have over the course of the morning finally managed to feed him around 10ml of mashed up pellets and he seems slightly more lively, if he refuses again by 12 I will call x

hi hoping this forum could help.

my 3 year old Male guinea pig has has an abscess on his jaw and is booked in for a dental and to have it hopefully landed on friday, as arranged yesterday following a week of antibiotic.

he point blanks refuses syringe feed and wont drink from his bottle or eat at all. I'm wondering if at this point it is too early to call back and explain the situation if it's been only a day but in my heart I dont have the confidence he could pull through til friday like this. hes already been on antibiotics which helped in no form.

could anyone provide an opinion?

Hi! If your piggy is refusing to eat, then this counts as a life-death emergency. Please contact your vets asap.

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Definitely call and let the vet know. They may be able to accommodate him earlier if you are not able to get food into him, as that constitutes an emergency. Best of luck with his surgery and recovery!

I agree with the above, not eating is certainly an emergency, especially if he's refusing a syringe feed.

Back