• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is my boar dominant or submissive?

Shelley anne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently, three weeks now, got a de-sexed boar, Trevor, for my two girls. The three get on well but I am trying to work out the dynamics.

Trevor often walks up to the girls and rumble struts, he rumble struts a lot and sometimes they ignore it and other times, both girls have given him a nose punch, especially if he is trying to steal their food or is in their space when they don't want him to be.

The girls sure seem to put him in his place. Is the rumble strutting him just saying hey girls look how handsome I am or is he trying to tell them he is the boss. It sure doesn't look like he is the boss. The girls can nose punch hard.

It may sound like they dont like him but I also see them happily hanging out together and Lola running after him sometimes

Often it’s the girls who are in charge and it does sound like this is the situation with your trio. Trevor is just showing off to the ladies
I thought this may be the case. I read that rumble strutting was a dominance thing but he sure doesn't look dominant when he gets the nose punches.

I thought this may be the case. I read that rumble strutting was a dominance thing but he sure doesn't look dominant when he gets the nose punches.

Rumble-strutting between boars and sows has a different meaning; it is too woo them and show off what a strapping lad they are.
Between boars it is generally a peaceful measuring up.

In my experience it is generally the more submissive boars that are the 'rumble-singers' in a mixed gender bond while the 'mountaineers' are usually more dominant in outlook but the situation is a little bit more fluid than that. A younger submissive boar can still grow into his own as the ages and can turn into a master diplomat, quietly taking up the reins at some point or be confident enough to stand up to his wives or any challengers.

Rumble-strutting between boars and sows has a different meaning; it is too woo them and show off what a strapping lad they are.
Between boars it is generally a peaceful measuring up.

In my experience it is generally the more submissive boars that are the 'rumble-singers' in a mixed gender bond while the 'mountaineers' are usually more dominant in outlook but the situation is a little bit more fluid than that. A younger submissive boar can still grow into his own as the ages and can turn into a master diplomat, quietly taking up the reins at some point or be confident enough to stand up to his wives or any challengers.

Thats cool, Trever obviously is showing the ladies how sexing he is. It might be a while before he is that confident. The girls have him whipped!

Back