• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is my guinea pig jealous?

Beth-Joy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've noticed a rather funny behaviour from my dominant guinea pig, Rhubarb.
Whenever I stroke Schnitzel, the subordinate piggy, Rhubarb almost always, without fail, comes along and starts gently chewing on Schnitzel's ear as I stroke him. He only does it when I'm stroking Schnitzel. I'm not sure if he wants to "join in with grooming Schnitzel", or if he's jealous and so it biting his ear to express his irritation. Has anyone else noticed this?

It could be because with boars it’s important to always respect their hierarchy so that means always dealing with dominant piggy first. If you do something for the submissive first then the dominant can be upset by that and feel the need to assert their dominance

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

My Spud does this too it got so bad I only hold one at a time now. In our house I am Spuds human and my fiance is Gundhams human so they can both get a bit possessive if this is not respected. I don't know if this is a normal thing or not but it definitely happened to us.

Back