• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is my guinea pig ok?

Laurenthesheild3534

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. About a month ago, I got my first guinea pig, Michi. At first, she was very skittish and normally hid, which I’ve read is normal during the time a guinea pig is settling into a new environment, but after a week or so, she started coming out to see me whenever I entered the room. Since then, she’s started chetting, and last week, she was popcorning, and has let me pet her quite often. But she recently started hiding away again, and she hasn’t really seemed all that interested in her food or water. She’ll peak her head out whenever I sit next to her habitat, but beyond that, she hasn’t been moving around very much. I was already planning on taking her to the vet, just for a checkup, but I wanted to know if I should schedule one for her right away? I might be overreacting, but I want to make sure she’s ok.

Hi! I advise you to watch her closely! If you take her out of the cage and see that she is skinny and looks like she is losing weight then you should take her to the vet!

Hi. About a month ago, I got my first guinea pig, Michi. At first, she was very skittish and normally hid, which I’ve read is normal during the time a guinea pig is settling into a new environment, but after a week or so, she started coming out to see me whenever I entered the room. Since then, she’s started chetting, and last week, she was popcorning, and has let me pet her quite often. But she recently started hiding away again, and she hasn’t really seemed all that interested in her food or water. She’ll peak her head out whenever I sit next to her habitat, but beyond that, she hasn’t been moving around very much. I was already planning on taking her to the vet, just for a checkup, but I wanted to know if I should schedule one for her right away? I might be overreacting, but I want to make sure she’s ok.
That sounds all normal. Just make sure that you keep the hay topped up and that she is eating. The only way to know that is to weigh her weekly. Are you planning to get her a friend? They're highly social and need constant company of their own kind. That should be your priority right now, and the best way to get a friend would be from a rescue rather than a pet shop. Please can you add your location to your profile so we can tailor the info to you. Have a read of the threads I've linked below.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

If she is living alone she may be bored or unhappy due to the lack of guinea pig interaction.
More info on guinea society can be found here: httpss://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/companionship.37654/

However, I would also second the recommendation to keep an eye on her weight, if you're not already doing so, to eliminate and physical health issue which may be causing this. Guidance on weight monitoring and management is here: Weight - Monitoring and Management

Note that if she isn't eating at all and her digestive system has shut down, this is an emergency an she needs to be taken to a vet asap (potentially with you stepping in with syringe feeding in the meantime). It doesn't sound from your post as though this is the case but wanted to flag it so you are aware.

That sounds all normal. Just make sure that you keep the hay topped up and that she is eating. The only way to know that is to weigh her weekly. Are you planning to get her a friend? They're highly social and need constant company of their own kind. That should be your priority right now, and the best way to get a friend would be from a rescue rather than a pet shop. Please can you add your location to your profile so we can tailor the info to you. Have a read of the threads I've linked below.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
I am wanting to get her a friend, but I’m still a teenager, and I have to get my parents permission. It already took me a really long time to convince them to get one, so I don’t know if they’ll let me.

Edit: I just
Edit: I took her to the vet earlier today, and he just called me back. Apparently, He believes that she has a respiratory infection.

Edit: I just

Edit: I took her to the vet earlier today, and he just called me back. Apparently, He believes that she has a respiratory infection.

Is she being prescribed antibiotics?

I am wanting to get her a friend, but I’m still a teenager, and I have to get my parents permission. It already took me a really long time to convince them to get one, so I don’t know if they’ll let me.

Did you get her from a pet shop? If so, then it is a shame the shop allowed you to buy just one. Piggies must never be kept alone as they do suffer from loneliness. They are highly social creatures and must be kept in pairs. Please do speak to your parents about the importance of her having a friend. It is simply essential for their emotional wellbeing and lifelong happiness to be kept with another piggy

Sorry to hear she's unwell, hopefully she has been prescribed some medication to help.

How big is her current cage / what is your set up? Just wondering whether you would need a lot more space to get a second piggie. In the meantime, it's worth having a read of this: Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Is she being prescribed antibiotics?

Did you get her from a pet shop? If so, then it is a shame the shop allowed you to buy just one. Piggies must never be kept alone as they do suffer from loneliness. They are highly social creatures and must be kept in pairs. Please do speak to your parents about the importance of her having a friend. It is simply essential for their emotional wellbeing and lifelong happiness to be kept with another piggy
I’m not entirely sure yet. I’m going to talk to him about her treatments when I go to pick her up in an hour. All he told me was that her treatment would cost somewhere between $400-$500. I have the money to pay for it, but does it normally cost that much? I’ve been trying to research it a bit, and I have a few friends with guinea pigs who have had respiratory infections, and they say it didn’t cost that much for them.

I’m not entirely sure yet. I’m going to talk to him about her treatments when I go to pick her up in an hour. All he told me was that her treatment would cost somewhere between $400-$500. I have the money to pay for it, but does it normally cost that much? I’ve been trying to research it a bit, and I have a few friends with guinea pigs who have had respiratory infections, and they say it didn’t cost that much for them.

I’m afraid I don’t know as being uk based, our vets will have different charging ranges

He
Sorry to hear she's unwell, hopefully she has been prescribed some medication to help.

How big is her current cage / what is your set up? Just wondering whether you would need a lot more space to get a second piggie. In the meantime, it's worth having a read of this: Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Her current habitat is 8 sq ft. I’m planning on expanding this when I get her a friend. And by set up, do you mean the bedding and what sort of things I have in her habitat?

If you got piggie from a shop pls check the conditions if she was poorly when you received her then you may then get them to pay. Pls read the info on here and hope piggie mends soon.

Please do speak to them about getting her a friend. They can live up to 8 years or even more in some cases. That’s a long time to live alone with no interaction with someone that understands your unspoken words.

Did you double check her sex?

Please do speak to them about getting her a friend. They can live up to 8 years or even more in some cases. That’s a long time to live alone with no interaction with someone that understands your unspoken words.

Did you double check her sex?
Yes, I’m sure she’s a girl. And I’ve been looking into places I can adopt a guinea pig in my state, to get her a friend. There aren’t many, but I’ll continue to look. I’m going to keep asking my parents about it, and I’ve been doing some stuff to try to get on their good sides, so hopefully that’ll help.

Yes, I’m sure she’s a girl. And I’ve been looking into places I can adopt a guinea pig in my state, to get her a friend. There aren’t many, but I’ll continue to look. I’m going to keep asking my parents about it, and I’ve been doing some stuff to try to get on their good sides, so hopefully that’ll help.
Email the rescues as well. They won’t show single piggies up for adoption.

Alright, they’ve prescribed her a couple of antibiotics. Hopefully, that’ll help clear this up.

Hi! :)
I live here in the US and that seems a bit expensive. :hmm:

If you got piggie from a shop pls check the conditions if she was poorly when you received her then you may then get them to pay. Pls read the info on here and hope piggie mends soon.
They were supposed to check her over today, so I think she‘ll be good for a little while. I’m going to be keeping a close eye on her anyway. I’m going to be reading over the links you guys have linked to me later tonight.

Back