• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is my indoor cage big enough for two boars?

LucyB1234

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have a single boar living in this wooden indoor cage that I had built. The dimensions are 120x60 externally and internally 116x56. Is this going to be too small for two boars? Many thanks, Lucy

Yes it will be too small. The minimum size internally should be 120x60 but for two boars it is highly recommended to go bigger than this as even the minimum size can cause tensions

Thank you for your replies, if I was to have a second cage connected to the original cage but joined but a ramp below, would this be sufficient?

Thank you for your replies, if I was to have a second cage connected to the original cage but joined but a ramp below, would this be sufficient?
If you mean a double decker cage then no. But side by side yes. It's kinda not the same have a ramping connecting two cages side by side as having 1 large area without an obsticle. With one large area, it's gives your pigs the opportunity to do zoomies properly ( burst of energy randomly when they just run flat out in laps).

Update- I've persuaded my other half to let us get a C&C cage for our small office room. Looking online, it will only really take a 4x2 comfortably. will this be ok?

:agr:

The good thing about C&C cages is that you can make them into a different shapes to adapt tot he space that you have.
Is there a chance you could fit a large L-shaped cage into your office?
I ended up with an L shaped cage becasue that makes the most of the room that I have available for it, while maximizing the space that the piggies get too.

Update- I've persuaded my other half to let us get a C&C cage for our small office room. Looking online, it will only really take a 4x2 comfortably. will this be ok?
It will certainly be bigger than your present cage and you could put a loft above it. Boars sometimes like to “get away” and have a bit of me time on their own x

c+c is great . . using cable ties you can make them fit into maximum space.
More room makes piggies happy.
:yahoo:

Have you thought about making your own C&C? That way you can make it any shape you like to fit your room, and it's reasonably cheap to buy all the bits separately (wire shelving cubes from Amazon and correx from somewhere like Wickes got me a 5x2 with loft for less than £30, for example). I did this originally, because I wasn't entirely sure that a C&C cage would work for me, especially because I also had very limited space. It did, and now I currently have a 6x2 stacking cage on its way for my two sets of piggies (was not going to attempt to build that by myself), because I love how much room it gives them. 😂

For boys, I really wouldn't - like others have said - go for less than a 5x2. The bigger, the better. My boys get on really well, but I think half of that is because they can keep their distance from each other when they want.

:agr:

The good thing about C&C cages is that you can make them into a different shapes to adapt tot he space that you have.
Is there a chance you could fit a large L-shaped cage into your office?
I ended up with an L shaped cage becasue that makes the most of the room that I have available for it, while maximizing the space that the piggies get too.
Did you buy your L-shape online or did you make it yourself?

If you buy a 4x2 with a loft you can add the loft bit at ground level on the side to make a 5x2 or 6x2 L-shape, just cut a 6 to 8 inch wide doorway in the correx between the rooms. My piggies like this sort of extension room as a walk-in hay area :)

If you buy a 4x2 with a loft you can add the loft bit at ground level on the side to make a 5x2 or 6x2 L-shape, just cut a 6 to 8 inch wide doorway in the correx between the rooms. My piggies like this sort of extension room as a walk-in hay area :)
That's a great idea!

Did you buy your L-shape online or did you make it yourself?
I originally bought a 5 x 2 C&C with a 2 x 2 loft.
But the loft didn't work out for a few reasons (a couple of the pigs wouldn't use it, Ruby kept going up and shrieking until someone lifted her down :roll: , and cleaning underneath it was a pain).
So I use the grids to turn the original 5 x 2 into a 7 x2, but made it L shaped. I just played around with the correx pieces until they all fit together - I used a lot of duct tape!

I originally bought a 5 x 2 C&C with a 2 x 2 loft.
But the loft didn't work out for a few reasons (a couple of the pigs wouldn't use it, Ruby kept going up and shrieking until someone lifted her down :roll: , and cleaning underneath it was a pain).
So I use the grids to turn the original 5 x 2 into a 7 x2, but made it L shaped. I just played around with the correx pieces until they all fit together - I used a lot of duct tape!
🤣🤣 Ruby had you slaving good and proper! 🤣

They boys also had a 2x1 loft but I found it hard to clean underneath so took it down shortly before getting the girls. But they did love it.

Back