• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is my pig ill?

Flibbertygibbert

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice. My 9 week old sow Squeak isn’t herself. On the advice of one of the moderators I had got her booked her into the vets at 2.30 this afternoon for a precautionary check up as when I collected her from the breeder on Saturday she had lice again (she had them when I first saw her two weeks ago and she was treated then but they came back). She has no lice now. She’s the more tame of my quartet however when I went to check on them this morning she was sitting in her own wee and poop in their bedroom area and didn’t try to run away. The other girls have popped in to she her but she’s not engaging with them either. She can move and doesn’t squeal when I pick her up. She’s not showing any external signs of injury, her pop looks normal and she is bright eyed but I’m feeling very anxious something is wrong. I’ve called the vet but they can’t see her any earlier. Any idea what could be wrong or anything practical I should be doing. Or am I panicking over nothing?

Sorry you’re worried. Unfortunately we can’t tell you what’s wrong. That needs a hands-on vet check, which we’re not and can’t do. Is she eating hay at all? Perhaps put some next to her where she’s laying. Make sure the area isn’t soiled. You could also try offering her mushed pellets in a bowl or on a spoon. I’ll tag @PigglePuggle and @Piggies&buns

Hopefully whatever it is is simple to treat. Good luck and try to distract yourself till it’s time to go.

I agree that sadly we can’t tell you what is wrong. It could be nothing but it’s good you are getting her checked over by a vet.

As above, try and keep yourself distracted until the vet visit.

Please let us know how you get on x

Thanks. No I’ve not seen her eating yet today although she was fine yesterday. I’ve removed the soiled hay she was sat on and the vet bed has soaked up the rest. I usually clean them out in the morning and put them all in the run for the day but I think I might leave that until she’s seen the vet and keep them all together. I’ll pop back out in the moment and see if I can tempt her to eat some mushed pellets. The other guineas seem to have abandoned her and have gone to sleep in their ramp tunnel 🤷‍♀️

Thanks. No I’ve not seen her eating yet today although she was fine yesterday. I’ve removed the soiled hay she was sat on and the vet bed has soaked up the rest. I usually clean them out in the morning and put them all in the run for the day but I think I might leave that until she’s seen the vet and keep them all together. I’ll pop back out in the moment and see if I can tempt her to eat some mushed pellets. The other guineas seem to have abandoned her and have gone to sleep in their ramp tunnel 🤷‍♀️

Please switch from the usual once weekly health monitoring weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time and step in with feeding support as soon as and to the degree necessary promptly. Please keep in mind that around 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot control by eye. Veg and 1 tablespoon of pellets are in the way of a daily snack.

This will allow you to tailor your support care to what is really needed but also to step in as soon as necessary and help your piggy to get through any crisis better. Any practical advice for emergency, crisis and bridging care can be found via this link, which bundles all necessary information: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Squeak is the only one I haven’t weighed yet (I got distracted by my toddler whacking his sister with a plastic golf club whilst I was doing it 😂) but as I’ve only had her since Saturday evening I’d not have much of a history at this stage anyway. I’ve just had her on my lap and she ate a piece of romaine, a slice of cucumber and a dandilion leaf then started nibbling her hay so maybe I just have one very very relaxed pig?! Still taking her to be on safe side but I feel a bit better now. Thank you for all your advice - I’m like a new mum aren’t I 😂😂😂F4A95ECB-9385-467F-A33B-628999325A95.jpeg

Ah she’s beautiful - hopefully she will be ok but you’re right to get her checked - she might just be settling in and getting used to everything. Good luck with the vets ! Let us know how the visit goes 🥰

What a lovely piggy. I can’t offer anymore advice than the other members have given but wishing you good luck at the vets. Let us know how you get on!

She’s fine, good gut sounds, nothing they can find wrong. I’m going to weigh her on my scales when get back (shes330 on vets) and keep a daily weight diary as you suggested Wiebke and fingers crossed I’ve just a very chill guinea pig (must be all the reiki I’ve been doing with them 😂). Kudos to baby Fudge for being an excellent support pig 😍😍 thank you everyone 💖💖

Attachments

• 0BBDA8C4-2741-44EC-975A-8D06FB8D5408.jpeg
    0BBDA8C4-2741-44EC-975A-8D06FB8D5408.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 7F30CEEF-2A98-45BD-9978-17F7E2EF38C1.jpeg
    7F30CEEF-2A98-45BD-9978-17F7E2EF38C1.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 8
What lovely girls. I’m glad it all seems ok! I find my nervous pig Diego is much more prone to freezing/sitting still when we pick him up for his health checks compared to his cage mate Dougal who is more confident in telling us off and running away! :doh:

Squeak is the only one I haven’t weighed yet (I got distracted by my toddler whacking his sister with a plastic golf club whilst I was doing it 😂) but as I’ve only had her since Saturday evening I’d not have much of a history at this stage anyway. I’ve just had her on my lap and she ate a piece of romaine, a slice of cucumber and a dandilion leaf then started nibbling her hay so maybe I just have one very very relaxed pig?! Still taking her to be on safe side but I feel a bit better now. Thank you for all your advice - I’m like a new mum aren’t I 😂😂😂View attachment 150052

Give her time to settle in and make sure that she is not overheating in the coming hot weather - that can indeed lead to loss of appetite and the got slowing down/stopping to work properly in the case of heat exhaustion/heat stroke.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Your girl will more likely come out to eat once she is feeling safe and it is quiet.

Back