• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is my piggies diet okay?

Do they have unlimited hay? Hay should make up 80% of the diet. They only require a tablespoon of pellets per piggy per day and a cup of veggies per piggy per day. Fruit should be fed in moderation

Hi, hopefully someone can link in our comprehensive diet guide for you, I'm afraid I cant post links from my phone!
So yes as @Claire W says, 80% of a piggy's diet should be fresh hay, they should have access to a big pile or tray of unlimited hay that you top up twice a day.
Pellets are a very minor part of the diet, and should be strictly limited to 1 tablespoon per piggy per day. I only feed 5g of pellets per piggy per day to my adult piggies, but youngsters may have a bit more if they are still growing.
Fresh veg rich in vit C should be fed in moderation- maybe 50g per day- fresh peppers are a great everyday food, also cucumber, coriander, and a variety of leafy veg- little gem or romaine lettuce, a babyleaf salad mix, and once or twice a week a small amount of more calcium rich leaves such as spinach, parsley or kale.
Fresh grass is great and counts towards their veg and their hay intake, though unlimited hay and some other veg are needed too of course.
Carrots and fruit should be a small once a week treat only.
Hope that helps!

Hi, hopefully someone can link in our comprehensive diet guide for you, I'm afraid I cant post links from my phone!
So yes as @Claire W says, 80% of a piggy's diet should be fresh hay, they should have access to a big pile or tray of unlimited hay that you top up twice a day.
Pellets are a very minor part of the diet, and should be strictly limited to 1 tablespoon per piggy per day. I only feed 5g of pellets per piggy per day to my adult piggies, but youngsters may have a bit more if they are still growing.
Fresh veg rich in vit C should be fed in moderation- maybe 50g per day- fresh peppers are a great everyday food, also cucumber, coriander, and a variety of leafy veg- little gem or romaine lettuce, a babyleaf salad mix, and once or twice a week a small amount of more calcium rich leaves such as spinach, parsley or kale.
Fresh grass is great and counts towards their veg and their hay intake, though unlimited hay and some other veg are needed too of course.
Carrots and fruit should be a small once a week treat only.
Hope that helps!
Okay thanks.
I will try to find the diet guide on here

They definitely need unlimited hay, it helps grind their teeth down and it helps with digestion. Fruit should be fed once a week.

Here is the diet guide that is recommended. The fact that you haven’t been feeding them unlimited hay won’t make them seriously ill so long as you start to feed them unlimited hay from now on
I've had them for 4 weeks and been feeding them that diet with no hay

Just make sure that they have hay in their cage 24:7 and they will eat it when they’re ready. I and many other members just place a large pile of hay on the floor of the cage

Back