• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is my piggy bloated?

JemAndScout

New Born Pup
Reaction score
20200715_183742.jpgshe also seems much mkore quite than usual and wasn't in her hidy but not eating either, just kinda sitting there.

More details please. How old is she and where did you get her from? When did you get her and does she live alone? Was she ever with an intact (not neutered) boar? Bloat is quite severe and can’t be diagnosed from a photo. I think you’re best placed to take her to the vet for a check.

@Wiebke I’m thinking... but don’t want to go off a photo.

More details please. How old is she and where did you get her from? When did you get her and does she live alone? Was she ever with an intact (not neutered) boar? Bloat is quite severe and can’t be diagnosed from a photo. I think you’re best placed to take her to the vet for a check.

@Wiebke I’m thinking... but don’t want to go off a photo.
She is about 3 months old, and we got her from a rescue. She is not alone and live with another sow. She has never been in contact with and boars, and I will definitely take her to the vet!

I agree that she needs to be taken to a vet. Not eating and behaving differently/being quiet would ring alarm bells. Bloat (if that is what it is but it not something we can confirm and definitely not from a photo, only a vet can do that from a hands on check) needs medical attention urgently

How has her weight been?

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Did the rescue give you any history? Where was she before she went to the rescue? How long was she there before you adopted her? And are you sure the other piggy is a sow? Did you get her from the rescue as well?

Sorry for the amount of questions. Ring your vet now and get her seen today preferably. If it is bloat it can go downhill very quickly.

I agree that she needs to be taken to a vet. Not eating and behaving differently/being quiet would ring alarm bells. Bloat (if that is what it is but it not something we can confirm and definitely not from a photo, only a vet can do that from a hands on check) needs medical attention urgently

How has her weight been?

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Her weight has been consistent and not much difference at all

How long have you had her? At three months old she should be growing consistently and you should be seeing a weight gain each week if she is eating enough hay
Weigh her daily while you have concerns about her but do get her to a vet

What’s her diet been like? And have you been weighing her since you got her? Don’t know if you said how long you’ve had her.

Did the rescue give you any history? Where was she before she went to the rescue? How long was she there before you adopted her? And are you sure the other piggy is a sow? Did you get her from the rescue as well?

Sorry for the amount of questions. Ring your vet now and get her seen today preferably. If it is bloat it can go downhill very quickly.
We got both guineapigs from the rescue. The previous owner had a pregnant sow and had given the babies to the rescue after not wanting them. Not much history was given apart from that, but the other piggies is definitely a girl, as we have checked multiple times and when going to the vet, they have also confirmed she is a sow. She was there not long, about a month.

If there was a pregnant sow you can’t know that she hasn’t been away from boars then. When did you get them?

How long have you had her? At three months old she should be growing consistently and you should be seeing a weight gain each week if she is eating enough hay
Weigh her daily while you have concerns about her but do get her to a vet
Her weight has been consistent and we have had her about 2 months.

If there was a pregnant sow you can’t know that she hasn’t been away from boars then. When did you get them?
About two months ago
Her weight has been consistent and we have had her about 2 months.
What’s her diet been like? And have you been weighing her since you got her? Don’t know if you said how long you’ve had her.
Her diet has been access to hay at all times, some form of lettuce each day with an occasional fruit as a treat and normally capsicum, cucumber or carrot each day. We feed 1/8 of a cup of pellets for each guineapig. We have had her 2 months and her weight has been relatively consistent

So you’ve seen no weight gain in two months? You really should be seeing some weight gains as she is young and growing
I mean no drastic change in weight, like not a massive difference in weight not not gaining any weight.

About two months ago

Her diet has been access to hay at all times, some form of lettuce each day with an occasional fruit as a treat and normally capsicum, cucumber or carrot each day. We feed 1/8 of a cup of pellets for each guineapig. We have had her 2 months and her weight has been relatively consistent

Ok, get her checked at the vet. As long as her weight is going up consistently each week then that’s fine

Carrot shouldn’t be fed daily, its too high in sugar and needs to be regarded as a treat along with fruit
If I’ve converted properly 1/8 of a cup is two tablespoons which is too much. They should have one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day.

Ok, get her checked at the vet. As long as her weight is going up consistently each week then that’s fine

Carrot shouldn’t be fed daily, its too high in sugar and needs to be regarded as a treat along with fruit
If I’ve converted properly 1/8 of a cup is two tablespoons which is too much. They should have one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day.
Okay thank you, I never new that carrots were to high in sugar. I will also lessen her pellet intake! Thank you!

Okay thank you, I never new that carrots were to high in sugar. I will also lessen her pellet intake! Thank you!
Fruits are the same as well but you’re okay as they’re an occasional treat.

Ps how much weight on average has she been gaining per week?

Fruits are the same as well but you’re okay as they’re an occasional treat.

Ps how much weight on average has she been gaining per week?
When we first got her she would gain weight at about 40 ish grams a week, which slowly got less as she got older

When we first got her she would gain weight at about 40 ish grams a week, which slowly got less as she got older

But if she is only three months old she should still be gaining the same amounts. Weight loss won’t slow until she is much much older.
Have you been able to get hold of the vet?

:agr: She should still be gaining weight until at least a year old. How much less has she been gaining?

Vet appointment soon as. I would actually start weighing her daily at the same time. If she’s consistently losing you may have to step in with syringe feeding.

Back