Is Rita scared of the ramp?

Teazel 2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a ramp in my hutch that leds from an indoor area to a large[ish] outdoor area. Rita uses it as little as possible. She will come down for food and playtime occasionally, but spends most of the time lying down at the top of the ramp watching the others. I have ruled out arthritis as she isn't even 1, so might she be scared f using the ramp?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s likely. Guinea pigs aren’t naturally climbers which is why single storey hutches are often best. If the ramp is too steep or doesn’t have sides on it then it is likely she is scared to use it. Try clipping a tunnel over the ramp so there isn’t a risk of her falling.
Is your hutch still the same as the one you posted quite a while back? Have you put items in the downstairs area to entice them to use it?

Sophie B

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh I see, you could try to put some sort of barrier on the outer edge of the ramp if there isn’t already one, that’s my only idea, hope something will work

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Always put food upstairs and downstairs and cover the ramp so she feels safe. Guinea pigs aren’t climbers and some will just refuse to use a ramp at all. Given you say she has done it sometimes, then she clearly knows how to, so if you make the ramp a little safer and then if she chooses not to go, it’s possible she may want some space away from the others for a little while?

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Mine like having "time out". I quite often find at least one of them "up ramp" in the hutch. A couple of days ago 4 of the 5 up there and Velvet in splendid isolation as Billy No Mates "down ramp".