• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is Something Wrong? What Could It Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is something wrong? Fuzzums has been a lot quieter than normal today and keeps trying to take himself away in or under something.. Every so often he is looking like he is reaching? He is making a slight noise when breathing but he has done this occasionally before. I have no way to get to or call a vet at the moment, I have to wait for my husband to get back. Please help, what can I do?

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
His mouth is constantly open and it's like every so often he is stretching it wide?

PistachioPiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm not much of a vet, but it could be a uri but i defiantly would consult a vet as soon as possible.

LisaAli

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are tagging @helen105281 for you, If you can get your vets number ready, once your husband gets back, as it sounds like a vet is required... Hugs to you...

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you, I am holding him to comfort him and I can feel his heart, i think I worked it out as 37 beats in a minute?! I might have done that wrong. He was fine last night. He has starting making tiny little squeaks as he's breathing. I could cry

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I am not an expert so I hope you get some proper advice soon. But have you check inside his mouth to check nothing is stuck in his teeth.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had a look and can't see anything, I will check again in case I've missed something

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be something stuck in his mouth or throat?

As you are in the UK, you could ring up the out-of-hours vet clinic for advice on what you can do until you can get him there?

PistachioPiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A quite similer thing happened with my cat x she had something lodged in her throat, but unfortunately it was sunday and if we had got there sooner we could of just gone to the vet and had it taken out... but it ended up going into her stomach and messing up her digestive system, my baby had to be put down because even after major surgery that costed thousands of pounds.. she had to be put down. I'm sorry if this upsets you and you shouldn't be worried I'm just sharing to help you and I'm almost positive that whatever it is she will be fine in the end xx (HUGS)

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Going to message you as I have some information to give you. Stretching and mouth opening can be linked to gas or bloat but also oral thrush or heart issues. You need to ascertain if the abdomen is hard or soft. Is he pooing? is his breathing laboured?

Status
Not open for further replies.