• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is the baby a boy?

Smudgeflofifi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, my friend adopted two female guinea pigs from a rescue but found out after that one of the guinea pigs was pregnant. The baby guinea pig has been born but she’s not sure if the baby is a girl or a boy. It looks like a boy to me but I don’t want to give the wrong advice to her...56CC2A87-0E1D-4D20-B206-A36987BAE132.jpeg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, my friend adopted two female guinea pigs from a rescue but found out after that one of the guinea pigs was pregnant. The baby guinea pig has been born but she’s not sure if the baby is a girl or a boy. It looks like a boy to me but I don’t want to give the wrong advice to her...View attachment 151082
Hi!

It looks more like a boy but please do the hands-on part of the sexing process yourself because until then, all you'll get is guesses - and that is not enough. Unfortunately we can't reach through the screen and gently pry the slit apart to see whether there is a fleshy female seal just below the rim or where your baby is sporting a straight male slit.
We can also not feel for the presence or absence of a tiny penis shaft bump under the skin just above the penis button as we do with our own piggies.

If both those areas come back with the same answer, then you can be 100% sure that you have got a boy. Learning how to sex a piggy reliably on your own is not the worst life skill to acquire. ;)

Please make use of the reference pictures in our sexing guide. The contain pictures of male and female slits at different ages as well as very nice arrow pointing at where you need to gently feel for a penis bumb under the skin - sows are totally flat and soft in that area.
Here is the link: Illustrated Sexing Guide

Here is our step by step mother and baby information link, which include information and a picture/video guide as well as nursing diet and separation advice. It is unfortunately only visible for registered members; we had to do this keep breeders at bay as they kept blithely ignoring our forum rules. Your friend is welcome to join.
Here is the access link to our comprehensive practical information: Pregnancy, Mother & Baby Care Guides

Please ask your friend to separate any male baby at 3 weeks or 250g - whichever comes sooner. The weight qualifier is important as occasionally well developed male babies can catch out their mother or a female companion before the 3 weeks are up and cause the next pregnancy. :(

I can't say that I am impressed by the rescue standard. Very sorry for your friend doing the right thing and then being caught out this way!
A mandatory pregnancy watch for any incoming sows over 4 weeks is an important part of good welfare practice in a rescue.
Too many people will lie about the real reason of getting rid of a pet and any piggies being surrendered or found without any further information need to be always treated as potentially pregnant. :(

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It does look like a boy to me... if so, you should be able to feel the ridge of the penis above if you gently press. Sorry your friend ended up with a bonus pig... the rescue really should have known!