• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Is there a flaw here?

Beemz

Junior Guinea Pig
So I made a chest freezer tray into a hay rack- but am I missing something obvious? The upper edge is too high for them to jump into. Could they potentially get their heads stuck?

Attachments

Beemz

Junior Guinea Pig
So I’m going to assume no problems-
If anyone reads this what is the size of square in C & C cages for adult pigs please?

Reenie

Forum Donator 2017/18
Hi. I think there is a chance they could get their heads into that gap - probably best not to risk it. I think C&C grids are about 35cm - about 13-14 inches or thereabouts. It's slightly more than 1ft each square.

Beemz

Junior Guinea Pig
I was wondering about the actual holes (squares!) I need to measure the gaps on this- I think they could get their heads in but would maybe have to turn it at complete right angles to get stuck.

Beemz

Junior Guinea Pig
Also thinking they have to reach up to get the hay out so the more I think about it the more I’m less worried but I’ll measure the gaps anyway.

Beemz

Junior Guinea Pig
Hmmmm! The gap is 5 cm-
I’m wondering if I need to mount this on the outside of cage only they actually hate taking hay through small gaps- ie between the bars.

Beemz

Junior Guinea Pig
I think what I’ll do is put something under that’s not so high so when they reach up they would have to jump off the ground if they wanted to push their head through. They still get piles but this is a back up plan for when we’re away each day. Or I might come up with something completely different! 😂😂

Beemz

Junior Guinea Pig
Well! I was measuring wrong 🤦‍♀️ I was measuring wire to wire instead of the exact space in between which is *just* over 4 cm so the hay can stay! Also I feel that because it isn’t made up of squares (they could move nose up and down the way) that might help further.
Very pleased as they are using it while other hayracks have been ignored.
😊