• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is this a common groundsel, and can pigs eat it?

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
25B2848A-A3BE-412B-B70D-4E9D80FAAD05.jpeg74A99513-BEE1-4201-B3D5-4A837D3E329E.jpeg
Are these ‘common groundsel’ (ragworts) and can piggies safely eat them?

Buttercup, ragwort, foxglove and bindweed are poisonous to your guinea pig. And of course there are several other poisonous plants to be avoided. Remember if in doubt as to whether a plant is safe for your guinea pig, don't give it.10 Sep 2009

Found this on google search

Buttercup, ragwort, foxglove and bindweed are poisonous to your guinea pig. And of course there are several other poisonous plants to be avoided. Remember if in doubt as to whether a plant is safe for your guinea pig, don't give it.10 Sep 2009

Found this on google search
I’ve found it listed on both safe and dangerous lists, it’s quite confusing. I think I’ll err on the side of caution and pull ‘them up and bin them!

I give grounsel to my boys, they love it, not to be confused with Ragwort which is poisonous to most animals and humans

That is groundsel and yes it's pig-safe. Just don't feed if it has the orange fungal leaf spots that groundsel is prone to. I was pleased (as were the piggies) to find a bit in the flowerbed last month as it's not a weed I usually get in this garden.

Groundsel is Senecio vulgare and ragwort is Senecio jacobea - they come from the same genus but they are two different species. If you search for images of the two on the Internet you will see the differences. Ragwort will generally be a much bigger plant, although if you have it in the lawn and mow it, it can be small.

Yes this is groundsel and you can feed it safely ins amll quantities. Don't feed if the leaves have a red staining on them. Ragwort cannot be fed it is toxic, they are the same family but different plants.

Hedge bindweed is safe, field bindweed should be fed with caution.

x

Back