• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is This Bloat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dearbarbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys - more advice please!

After his painful pooping problem which I detailed here, the vet put Burt on cisapride, metacam and baytril (he's had ultrasound, xray, poo test and urine test and she thought it might be a prostrate problem) for 10 days (cisapride for 7) as well as a bit of psyllium husk powder.

He's still squeaking when he goes, but not everytime, usually when he does a lot at once. Overnight in his catch he'll do about poos. He runs around fine when its floor time, and was popcorning around the living room - and when heruns about he tends to poo a lot more (26 in half an hour yesterday, its as if it gets his system going!), his poos are bigger again and more solid, got powdery, so at least that's sorted, yay.

The past few days as he got to the end of his medicine course, he's really not been eating much - his brother will have an empty hay rank, Burt will look like he's not touched his, and hides away all day - so i put hay next to where he sits as well. He was getting back to his normal self at the end of last week - sat on me for 30 mins just being relaxed and stroked and licking me (he's not done this for a few weeks - when he'd bite me and tug on my top straight away, really hurting me, used to be so cuddly before he got ill), seems he's uncomfortable for 10-15 mins before he needs to go to the toilet.

Then he got bitey again and went off food - wondering if the baytril has caused some bloat?

On Fri, vet said to try him on critical care (I added some bran and a bit of psyllium) and he'd take it from the syringe without being force-fed, 5-6 mls at a time but today, nada. He runs around fine and was popcorning around the living room - and when heruns about he tends to poo a lot more, its as if it gets his system going!

I wondered it it was bloat and tapping his belly, it does sound a bit hollow so we're going back to the vet in a few minutes - he's lost 70g - not much but still lower than his usual fluctuation.

Any other ideas on why his hay isn't vanishing from its rack? What else should I look for to hint at what's wrong? @Pebble do you have any ideas?

Everything has already been covered for Burt and his botty in previous threads etc.
Glad to see the vets have also looked into prostate and that would have been my next suggestion
Ordinarily I'd have recommended no green vegs ever again and treat him like my Carson (to avoid the squeaky poops).

HOWEVER - If the hay is not being eaten.....Sorry to say this but possible Dental!
Ring me if you want a chat,
x

And I should qualify that by saying I believe this could be a secondary problem that has subsequently developed from his original problem.

You may like to consider a conscious dental exam with Simon Maddock at Cat & Rabbit before pursuing any further exam under GA at our normal vets,.
As bad luck would have it - i am going up to Simon tomorrow, travelling right past your door en route - but no way could we get an appt for Burt at short notice (unless @furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary knows otherwise) If we could get one post 4pm tomorrow - I'd offer to pick him up and bring him back
x.

On the phone the vet said could be dental, unsure how this would have arisen from the previous issue though? Thanks for your kind offer.... Do you know how much that costs?

It may be possible, I got one for the same day once by calling as soon as they opened.

And I should qualify that by saying I believe this could be a secondary problem that has subsequently developed from his original problem.

You may like to consider a conscious dental exam with Simon Maddock at Cat & Rabbit before pursuing any further exam under GA at our normal vets,.
As bad luck would have it - i am going up to Simon tomorrow, travelling right past your door en route - but no way could we get an appt for Burt at short notice (unless @furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary knows otherwise) If we could get one post 4pm tomorrow - I'd offer to pick him up and bring him back
x.
If you don't ask you don't get. Give them a ring and see if they can get him in.

I realise this is all a bit short and scarey notice..

BUT.....If OUR shared vet suspects dental - then waste no time ringing Simon at Cat &Rabbit tomorrow AS AN EMERGENCY at 9am.
If you CAN get an appt with Simon tmrw after 4pm - I can whip by your house and pick up Burt (and you) at approx 2pm and return you home afterward.
......If it looks like a "goer" then please PM me your address and contact details before 10am tomorrow as I need to cancel other arrangements
x

Looks like a cunning plan then - ring at 8am and pusjhfor an appt as an emergency from 4pm onwards, Cite distance and availability of transport to justify a late pm appt (all true)

If it's a goer i will need your address/contact details/rendezvous by mid morning before I set off.
x

Dental issues are always a possible secondary concern/development for piggies who have had to be syringe fed/not been eating properly owing to prior illness - especially if they have gone off hay.
As for cost -£50 give or take for a conscious dental consult with Simon vs £150-200 GA dental exam form our own vets.
(Edit: for the benefit of other forum members - db and I normally use the same exotics vets)
x

Heyy sorry just seen this! He's overnight at Seers Croft for a look/filing tomorrow under GA and we'll get a call about 2pm. Thank you so much, sorry I just saw it. Vet thinks he got a spur... And for the poos, that they might be too hard so will look at his diet. Will know more tomorrow... It's such a constant learning curve. Where's the dental people in case of we need to go there too? Man, he's an expensive little chap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back