• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is This Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusions144

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently got a new piggy but after getting her home I realised that her ears are very dry and she had a scab on her face. She also has a lot of white dots/possibly dead skin in her fur.

I ivermeced her straight away, thinking it's probably mites. The scab has gone down a lot now, it's hardly visible in the pictures.

Just wanted a second opinion on if it is mites? And if it is, how long should I leave it to give her a second dose? I've read online between a week and two weeks.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please have her seen by good vet for ringworm or another form of fungal. It is impossible to judge for me whether she is having flaky skin or lice from your picture. A lab test in the UK is often only for ringworm, but not any other form of fungal.
Here is our recommended piggy savvy vets locator: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-vet-locator/

Please do not treat on spec with cheap shop products, as you can make the problem easily worse than better. You will also have to treat any guinea pigs of yours she has been in contact with.

Our tips on how to best deal with highly infectious ringworm: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/
If you are dealing with both lice and fungal, your vet may consider whether it would be better to shift at least one treatment off topical (i.e. directly on the skin), like using oral itrafungol for the ringworm treatment; it is very efficient. Imaverol/enilconazole is the best skin treatment, as it is mild enough to use on young piggies and delicate areas like ears/face. Any topical treatment need at least 48 hours to get to work fully before you can treat with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.