• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is This Normal

Diane Owen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
OliverCharlieBed.jpg As i mentioned earlier i have had these 2 boys for a week now, they don't seem to come out alot. is this normal? Sometimes they share the same bed other times they sit in one each. Also is it cruel to take the beds away just occassionally so i can sit with them and actually get them used to seeing me and vice versa i can see them too? Maybe they are just content ? :)

How are they at floor time? You might find sitting on the floor in a piggie proof room will induce interaction with yourself.
Have some veggies ready to bribe them with all guinea pigs seem to live leafy greens.
If nothing else it's only been a shirt while since having them . Sure they'll come round in time

How are they at floor time? You might find sitting on the floor in a piggie proof room will induce interaction with yourself.
Have some veggies ready to bribe them with all guinea pigs seem to live leafy greens.
If nothing else it's only been a shirt while since having them . Sure they'll come round in time

Not sure i have a really good piggie proof area nooks and crannies all over the place for them to hide from me lol. Can i take there beds away for a short time? only 5 minutes maybe ...

Not sure i have a really good piggie proof area nooks and crannies all over the place for them to hide from me lol. Can i take there beds away for a short time? only 5 minutes maybe ...
Others may be able to offer better advice but I'd say not. That's their home and they need to feel safe and secure in there.
With regards to books and crannies. Use pillows, towels and heavy boxes to block. You will find after 15 minutes they will do a bit of dominating probably some zoomies and popcorning and then start to take an interest in you.
Ultimately they are your piggies so if you want to take out their beds you can, but I wouldn't I'd encourage floor time.

It is still early days. As prey animals they need to hide in order to feel safe. It has taken my two sows several months to feel happy out of their hides. One of them in particular likes to sit on top of their ikea dolls bed.

They still mainly hide in the hay trays and under the beds.

Try a bit of hide free lap time and offer yummy veg or herbs.

Good luck!

Mine took a good few weeks before they stayed out of their hides more than they were in them. I used floor time as time to bond with them. I would sit in the middle of their run and offer them treats (cucumber for example) and they would start to come over and take them from my hand. After a few days they would climb up on my lap to see what I had for them!

Now as soon as I walk in the room I'm greeted with noisy squeaks and paws up at the bars to see if I have anything. Just give them time, they will soon become more brave and start to trust you :)

I have to agree with others, they just need to feel safe and given enough time and routine they will come out of their shells.

I talk to mine, they know foods coming, but now they hear me coming and wheek for their food before I've got the key in the door. It's probably your own internal driver that wants them to be all cuddly right now, and that's perfectly natural. Keep talking to them especially at feeding time, they will get use to the routine and eventually associate your voice with food - their favourite past-time.

If I want a few extra hours in bed at the weekend I have to make sure the piggies can't here me get up to use the bathroom or they start squeaking so loud that I can here them 2 rooms away, through concrete walls and 2 closed doors! How dare I make them wait an extra hour for their breakfast

If I want a few extra hours in bed at the weekend I have to make sure the piggies can't here me get up to use the bathroom or they start squeaking so loud that I can here them 2 rooms away, through concrete walls and 2 closed doors! How dare I make them wait an extra hour for their breakfast

Mine are in my bedroom and if I wake up in the night to go to the toilet, I've had it. They won't shut up until I've gotten them a handful of kale to munch! They stop me from over sleeping on a work morning though because as soon as my alarm goes off they start going crazy :xd:

Back