Is this normal?

hannahj

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my piggies started nibbling the bars on their enclosure tonight, I did video it but it won't upload even a 5 second clip of the behaviour - is this normal? He is the inquisitive one of the two,he likes to look around and sniff at my hand or listen to my voice with his nose in the air.

Nb. I have posted the clip on their Instagram story @dizzees.piggies

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my piggies started nibbling the bars on their enclosure tonight, I did video it but it won't upload even a 5 second clip of the behaviour - is this normal? He is the inquisitive one of the two,he likes to look around and sniff at my hand or listen to my voice with his nose in the air.

Nb. I have posted the clip on their Instagram story @dizzees.piggies
Hi!

We are a forum that runs on member donations and is moderated by volunteers for free in their free time. Can you please upload your video on a public setting elsewhere and then parse a link into your forum post so everybody can watch it.

Bar gnawing is generally attention seeking behaviour. You may find this guide here interesting and helpful in dealing with the issue: Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yes bar biting or cage side biting is often an attention seeking behaviour, some piggies do it when they know you are watching and want to get your attention- especially if they can see you serving out their dinner or hear you chopping veg or opening the fridge or rustling a bag of salad!
If they have plenty hay and a big enough cage and some company of their own species they usually stop once you leave the room or ignore them (or feed them of course, but that's tricky if it isn't meal time as it rewards the attention seeking behaviour!).
Sometimes an extra handful of hay is all it takes to divert their attention if all their needs are being met otherwise :)
Or putting a plain cardboard box full of hay in the place they are chewing can help them indulge the chewing more safely and less annoyingly!

hannahj

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

We are a forum that runs on member donations and is moderated by volunteers for free in their free time. Can you please upload your video on a public setting elsewhere and then parse a link into your forum post so everybody can watch it.

Bar gnawing is generally attention seeking behaviour. You may find this guide here interesting and helpful in dealing with the issue: Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?
Thank you! That's really helpful - I will add the video on my YouTube and link to it. 😊

hannahj

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes bar biting or cage side biting is often an attention seeking behaviour, some piggies do it when they know you are watching and want to get your attention- especially if they can see you serving out their dinner or hear you chopping veg or opening the fridge or rustling a bag of salad!
If they have plenty hay and a big enough cage and some company of their own species they usually stop once you leave the room or ignore them (or feed them of course, but that's tricky if it isn't meal time as it rewards the attention seeking behaviour!).
Sometimes an extra handful of hay is all it takes to divert their attention if all their needs are being met otherwise :)
Or putting a plain cardboard box full of hay in the place they are chewing can help them indulge the chewing more safely and less annoyingly!
Thank you! I did ignore it apart from sneakily filming him and he did stop. They are just starting to trust me so possibly this is because he's realised I am the dealer outer of the pepper he loves so much! 🥰