• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is this normal?

Sophie10

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our new girlie Serendipity, likes to lie on her side as seen in attached pic. She is rather a nervous soul but far more relaxed than she used to be. She eats well, popcorns about and has settled in well with her girl friend. When handled or in her cosy, this is how she lies. Thoughts?20200912_191420.jpg

Our new girlie Serendipity, likes to lie on her side as seen in attached pic. She is rather a nervous soul but far more relaxed than she used to be. She eats well, popcorns about and has settled in well with her girl friend. When handled or in her cosy, this is how she lies. Thoughts? Here she is with Feather. x
View attachment 153468
20200816_134745.jpg20200816_134745.jpg

Aw she’s very cute, I’m sure it’s how she likes to chill x

I think you may find she’s possibly doing what is called the death nap 🤣 If she’s comfortable and puts herself in that position then that’s fine.

Our new girlie Serendipity, likes to lie on her side as seen in attached pic. She is rather a nervous soul but far more relaxed than she used to be. She eats well, popcorns about and has settled in well with her girl friend. When handled or in her cosy, this is how she lies. Thoughts?View attachment 153468

Hi!

She looks rather frightened in this picture to me (white rim around her eyes). Could she be playing 'unresponsive piggy' in this situation?
Have a read through our information on guinea pig instincts: Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

The other pictures look normal and relaxed to me. I divide my piggies into 'burgers' and 'sausages', depending on whether they prefer to sleep on their belly or on the side. If she is doing it out in the open, then she is relaxed in her cage and feeling safe.

Thanks. It crossed my mind that she looked like she was 'playing dead' but just before had been happily eating grass on my daughters lap. She is a nervous piggie and we steer clear from handling her too much. She is a rescue and we dont know whether she was previously handled. Her mate Feather is building her confidence but slowly.... so, I think you are right and we will take it more slowly. She is just about coming to us for treats.
Thanks for recommending the article, an informative read.

Thanks. It crossed my mind that she looked like she was 'playing dead' but just before had been happily eating grass on my daughters lap. She is a nervous piggie and we steer clear from handling her too much. She is a rescue and we dont know whether she was previously handled. Her mate Feather is building her confidence but slowly.... so, I think you are right and we will take it more slowly. She is just about coming to us for treats.
Thanks for recommending the article, an informative read.

The article is part of our pretty comprehensive New Owners collection, which also contains plenty of new information for experienced owners; there are always new developments. I would think that it is currently one of the information resources available. The guides format works for us because it allows us to update and add to the information at need. You might like to bookmark it and use it at need or browse at leisure.
Here is the link: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

You can access our full and even more extensive information on a wide range of topics via the shortcut on the top bar.

I have found that the piggy whispering tricks really work especially with skittish piggies to bring them round sooner. By speaking 'cavy' you not only remove yourself from the 'potential predator' category; by inviting her into your herd and telling her you love her, you are also giving her an identity and a place in your home in her own terms - and of course it is always easier for the piggies if you can speak a little 'cavy' rather than waiting for them to figure out human behaviour. ;)

Back