• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
well I now find myself owning a 4th gorgeous little boar. wasnt intended to have 4 but I couldn't leave him. I went into a pet store in town which I have never been in before cos I needed to get some hay. I walked in and saw that it was mainly reptiles etc they sold so thought they wouldnt have any hay but then I saw this small cage with a tiny little guinea pig in, he was on his own and very nervous well my heart definitely over ruled my head and I had to get him. This shop really annoyed the staff were lovely but they had NO CLUE about guinea pigs all they said that their from their friend who breeds them!! they told me nothing about caring for him at all. so now he is safe and away from those reptiles.

they said he is about 7 weeks old he is tiny - now I got 3 other boys between 6 to 8 months old. I didnt introduce them straight away I let the new guy have some time to relax and have a little look around. I introduced him to my other boys individually - to my relief no teeth chatting just ALOT of rumblestrutting, back end business sniff/ licking whatever they do and mouting.

Basically they are all doing it like whenever the new boy wants a wonder around he gets constantly hassled mounted etc by them can someone tell me why? are they just putting him in his place. he is so tiny and the other are quite abit larger than him. I'm pretty certain the new boy is a boy but it does make me question when the poor thing is getting mounted constantely by the others.

My Felix did that when I introduced to him Charlie, he ended up getting on brilliantly with Charlie. When I introduced him to Wendall he did nothing of the sort, just sort of ignored him. So, from my experience it was a good sign. I just made sure that Felix didn't get too excited or hurt Charlie, seeing as how there was such a size difference.

Its show all about dominance and establishing a hierarchy of who is in charge.

All sounds promising, it will take thema while to decide the heirarchy within the group and as long as blood is not drawn you are best to leave them to it, even though it can be tough to sit by and watch!

awww I'm so glad to hear that its normal. when i introduced my 3rd pig to other 2 they didnt really do a lot of mounting or chasing, they just cuddled around him for a little bit then they were playing about eating etc like theyve been friends all their life lol. thanks for the reassurance =) yeah it is hard to watch this tiny pig get hassled by the others like this but hopefully settle down soon. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back