• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is this probiotic fine?

Ritika

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just finding a probiotic for my piggies for future uses if needed is this one good for them?
Screenshot_20191230-195517.png

My concern with keeping items like this for ‘just in case’ would be the dates on them. I don’t know how long the use by dates on these items are but you may end up wasting money if it is just sits in your cupboard ... and then if you do need it, it could then be out of date and not be able to be used anyway.

My concern with keeping items like this for ‘just in case’ would be the dates on them. I don’t know how long the use by dates on these items are but you may end up wasting money if it is just sits in your cupboard ... and then if you do need it, it could then be out of date and not be able to be used anyway.
Tru😫 but I have been noticing slightly soft poos of one of my piggies and thought I must order some probiotics as it would take nearly a month to ship it from US. I contacted my vet about it and he said he just has dog probiotics what should I do?

The best thing if you are noticing soft poops is to stop feeding veg until the poops normalise. Just keep them on hay and a few pellets. Once things go back to normal, then slowly introduce veggies again, herbs are often a good thing to start reintroducing
I understand your predicament if it is going to take a long time to ship to you though. Bene-bac, to my knowledge, is fine. Pro-c or fibreplex would be the others to look into.

The best thing if you are noticing soft poops is to stop feeding veg until the poops normalise. Just keep them on hay and a few pellets. Once things go back to normal, then slowly introduce veggies again, herbs are often a good thing to start reintroducing
I understand your predicament if it is going to take a long time to ship to you though. Bene-bac, to my knowledge, is fine. Pro-c or fibreplex would be the others to look into.
Thank u! Yes I did cut off veggies from their diet since a day so let's see❤

I had a talk about probiotics with my vet last time I saw him (I got some antibiotics for a mousey URI)— he recommends just mixing a healthy cagemate’s poo in baby food etc. and feeding that to the sick one. Since all the healthy bacteria is already in that poo, it works! Fecal transplants in humans are a thing for a reason :nod:

But, I do agree with what’s been said; if your piggie Ian having issues go lighter on the veg but if that doesn’t help I’d see a vet.

Sorry to jump on this thread sooo late - but I was looking for info on best probiotics as my girlies poop has been off for a while and I came across this post. Would you say it's critical to reduce pellets as well as stop veggies? They get a measured amount daily but are eating hay and have been off veggies a while now - they are all absolutely fine in themselves though.

Sorry to jump on this thread sooo late - but I was looking for info on best probiotics as my girlies poop has been off for a while and I came across this post. Would you say it's critical to reduce pellets as well as stop veggies? They get a measured amount daily but are eating hay and have been off veggies a while now - they are all absolutely fine in themselves though.
Pellets should be max one tablespoon each per day anyway. With soft poo you stop the veg (and grass).

Have a look at the guide below for recommended ones.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Reducing veg and grass and feeding hay will help stabilise the gut. Pellets should only ever be one tablespoon per day so reducing them if you already give this restricted amount anyway isn’t necessary.
If they are having problems with gut disturbances and they’ve been off veg for a while, then it’s important to have a vet check done if you haven’t already

Just to say I use BeneBac when needed for my piggies and rabbits and it's a great probiotic.
I use the paste - comes in a large syringe and your squeeze some out and mix it with something tasty.
It has always worked really well.

Thank you both! I’m going to get them checked out as I’ve tried Fibreplex - which they hated and Pro C but nothing helped. Their weight is fine, they’re drinking plenty and acting normally, which is why I’ve tried cutting out veg and probiotics!

Back