• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is this safe?....

cavylover2002

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am curious if HAND washing guinea pig fleece and adding in a few drops of detergent is safe for the guinea pig (the detergent part)?
My friend has been doing this for a few weeks...
She says it gets the smell out of the fleece a bit more and that's why she does it but I'm concerened that when the guinea pigs walk on it and then lick their paws, they could get sick.
I would like to give her some feedback.
Thanks!

You can use detergent to wash guinea pig fleece as long as it is non-bio and is rinsed out before using the fleece in a cage.

Yeah, I am pretty sure she rinses it out. Sounds like its pretty safe then....I personally have never done that with my own pigs, I prefer just to use dawn dish soap...

Think about it - you wash your clothes in detergent and you're not going to get sick from licking your t-shirt, right? As long as the detergent is properly rinsed off and everything is dried properly, there's nothing left there to get sick from.

Think about it - you wash your clothes in detergent and you're not going to get sick from licking your t-shirt, right? As long as the detergent is properly rinsed off and everything is dried properly, there's nothing left there to get sick from.

I don't think she dries it all the way. Sh puts it in when it's damp but its been rinsed off...

Washing fleece with detergent doesn't cause any harm but I am curious about why she adds her fleece in damp? Wouldnt that create mold?

Back