• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

is this safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I read somwhere you could take a dropping from a healthy guinea and mash it into the food of a guinea with diarrrhoea to help restore probiotics. has anyone tried this and what do you think?

Never heard of doing that but it actually sounds like it could be a good idea if the guinea pig is eating at the foodbowl.

Has anybody else heard this?

Never heard of this being done. Does seem like a favourable idea. but question - how do you know if it's a real edible poop or a poop-poop? Get me?

Some of their actually poops are not re-edible for them.

Kelly and piggies xx

yes i have heard of it, also when feeding a new mum or babys milk ( diluted carnation milk and wholemeal bread) and bread in a saucer and once they are bigger I always put a few pellets in to add good bacteria, dont sound very appetising but its suppose to help their guts

Yes - I've heard of this. It sounds a bit gross but it is a good way of helping a poorly pig.

I spoke to the vet this morning and he says it is Ok and worth a try for DR. He said if Dr hated it I shouldn't force it on him!

Its called a poop soup and sounds disgusting, but is supposed to be very effective in helping restore gut flora etc. I agree... worth a try.

Mildred was on some very strong antibiotics just after Xmas. I was doing the whole probiotic thing but obviously not enough cos she chased George around and took his instead! :o
Of course then both of them had to have more probiotics. Poor George - fancy having your poop nicked from under your bum :-X

Guinealynx talk about poop soup a lot. They'll be able to tell you all about it.

Did it last night. Riffy was the donor. I mixed it in with Dr's liquid food. then when I put him back in the hutch Dr went up to Riffy and they kissed each other. I was nearly in tears. Then Dr started bouncing round, chasing and playing with the others. I will do it again today.

Lucinda said:
Did it last night. Riffy was the donor. I mixed it in with Dr's liquid food. then when I put him back in the hutch Dr went up to Riffy and they kissed each other. I was nearly in tears. Then Dr started bouncing round, chasing and playing with the others. I will do it again today.

Aww that's so sweet

Kelly and piggies xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back