• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is this something I should be concerned about?

marcel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggy has a bunch of white and black spots on his fur, at first i thought maybe its from food or bedding but theres alot and i just wanna make sure its not bugs like lice or anything.

Attachments

• 4C756631-FE2C-479A-BB97-1544BDE253BE.jpeg
    4C756631-FE2C-479A-BB97-1544BDE253BE.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 15
  • F107BC4A-2E33-4CDA-9FDC-458000BB8854.jpeg
    F107BC4A-2E33-4CDA-9FDC-458000BB8854.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 4A471F9D-158C-4134-96F1-900913FF5A25.jpeg
    4A471F9D-158C-4134-96F1-900913FF5A25.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 15
My piggy has a bunch of white and black spots on his fur, at first i thought maybe its from food or bedding but theres alot and i just wanna make sure its not bugs like lice or anything.
just checked my other piggy and he has the same specs

If your piggies aren't scratching overly much and don't have any fur loss or skin irritation its probably nothing to worry about, but it could be something to mention at a routine vet check. The vet can very easily lift off some of the specks and a few hairs with a piece of sellotape and look under the microscope to check if it is just haydust or a mild case of haymites.

Hi!

Can you feel along the hairs with these spot. If you can feel the tiniest of beads (less than a millimetre) on a string of hair, then I would recommend to see a vet for hay mites, chuck out your hay, deep clean the cage and find another hay supplier. Please accept that we do not recommend to home treat on spec, especially not with low dosed pet shop products that won't do more than temporarily suppress the problem but not clear it and that are basically wasted money.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Otherwise I would not worry.

Hi!

Can you feel along the hairs with these spot. If you can feel the tiniest of beads (less than a millimetre) on a string of hair, then I would recommend to see a vet for hay mites, chuck out your hay, deep clean the cage and find another hay supplier. Please accept that we do not recommend to home treat on spec, especially not with low dosed pet shop products that won't do more than temporarily suppress the problem but not clear it and that are basically wasted money.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Otherwise I would not worry.
Hi thank you for the help, I use timothy hay. Do you know of any problems with this brand that might relate to hay mites?

Hi thank you for the help, I use timothy hay. Do you know of any problems with this brand that might relate to hay mites?

There is nothing wrong with timothy hay itself but it depends on how it is harvested. We have seen a rise in hay mites since pet shops have started to import mass harvested internationally branded hay which is collected in a way that churns up the soil a lot more than traditional methods. It is more of a matter of where you source your timothy hay from.

Our hay guide link may help you more because I am not up to scratch in that respect. I get my locally source meadow hay via local independent pet shop that doesn't sell pets and have never had a problem with hay mites.

Please don't do a knee jerk reaction and throw your hay away unless you are really dealing with hay mites!

There is nothing wrong with timothy hay itself but it depends on how it is harvested. We have seen a rise in hay mites since pet shops have started to import mass harvested internationally branded hay which is collected in a way that churns up the soil a lot more than traditional methods. It is more of a matter of where you source your timothy hay from.

Our hay guide link may help you more because I am not up to scratch in that respect. I get my locally source meadow hay via local independent pet shop that doesn't sell pets and have never had a problem with hay mites.

Please don't do a knee jerk reaction and throw your hay away unless you are really dealing with hay mites!
Ok, I recently got a new guinea pig from a petshop. Do you think that its possible that piggy had haymites and gave my other one them too?

If the new piggy had hay mites then it’s possible. But it may not be hay mites. Read Wiebke’s thread (including the links) above and then decide how to proceed.

Back