• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Is this the right mattress stuff to make my own fleece?

Hannah_xx

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I want to start making my own fleece liners. I wasn’t going to be annoying and make another thread as there is a few about making fleece liners, I have read through them and got some great ideas. However I’m a little confused still.
The mattress topper that people recommended to use as the bottom layer to wick up the pee.. is this the right thing? It’s all I could find in K-Mart. I’m in Australia so will be a bit different to the U.K. I’m sure.
E96B56A7-62C7-4859-8479-046D471B67EB.jpeg

If it’s not exactly what you’d recommend. Do you think it could still work okay? It cost $25 but I’m sure I can return it if not :)

Look how cute my fleece is that I’ve bought (2 metres of each)
E56DB06C-2ECF-4CBA-88B8-09A88ED1FE81.jpeg

I’ll probably make 2x 1 metre for now. I haven’t thought much about design yet as I’m waiting on borrowing a friends sewing machine.
But do I basically just sew the fleece and mattress protector together?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That looks fine, just make sure you put the cotton top uppermost and the polyester bottom against the cage.

I haven’t sewn mine together, I have a sheet of protector covered with a layer of fleece. I pin my fleece to the side of the cage. When I made a mat they were straight under it. They still burrow and get under if I leave enough wiggle room.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Looks like the sort I use. The reason I use the mattress protector and cut it up rather than buy the quilted cotton wadding is it's cheaper but basically the same thing!

I've seen people do clever things on how too videos where they sew all the layers in one go, turn it the right way and sew the open end. I'm not that clever and kept missing bits of the inner when sewing the side so it moved when handled. I sew two layers of fleece and make an inside out bag, turn the right way and insert the middle layer, pin right the way through on the corners so it doesn't move, sew the open end and then sew all the way round about 3 inches from the edge, on large liners I sew round again nearer the middle to stop the inside layer bunching when washed. It's really a case of watching tutorials, trial and error and finding the easiest way for you!

Reenie

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
That looks fine. I sew mine right sides together, leaving a bit open to turn it out, then sew that closed, and sew a border round to keep it in place. Was them all before you cut and sew in case there is any shrinkage. Was the fleece a few times until it wicks liquid away, or it will just sit on the top. Love the fleece!

Oasis_guineas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I want to start making my own fleece liners. I wasn’t going to be annoying and make another thread as there is a few about making fleece liners, I have read through them and got some great ideas. However I’m a little confused still.
The mattress topper that people recommended to use as the bottom layer to wick up the pee.. is this the right thing? It’s all I could find in K-Mart. I’m in Australia so will be a bit different to the U.K. I’m sure.
View attachment 118312

If it’s not exactly what you’d recommend. Do you think it could still work okay? It cost $25 but I’m sure I can return it if not :)

Look how cute my fleece is that I’ve bought (2 metres of each)
View attachment 118313

I’ll probably make 2x 1 metre for now. I haven’t thought much about design yet as I’m waiting on borrowing a friends sewing machine.
But do I basically just sew the fleece and mattress protector together?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Looks fine to me.
I made mine with old towels instead and they still seem to enjoy them. When I make my other 4 liners I’ll have to try that stuff and see what the piggies think of it :roll:

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Looks like the sort I use. The reason I use the mattress protector and cut it up rather than buy the quilted cotton wadding is it's cheaper but basically the same thing!

I've seen people do clever things on how too videos where they sew all the layers in one go, turn it the right way and sew the open end. I'm not that clever and kept missing bits of the inner when sewing the side so it moved when handled. I sew two layers of fleece and make an inside out bag, turn the right way and insert the middle layer, pin right the way through on the corners so it doesn't move, sew the open end and then sew all the way round about 3 inches from the edge, on large liners I sew round again nearer the middle to stop the inside layer bunching when washed. It's really a case of watching tutorials, trial and error and finding the easiest way for you!
That’s just what I do too!

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It looks fine, you must post photos of your lovely fleece Liners once you have made them, I love that foxy one!

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one who can't do clever sewing all the seams right stuff! I think my cutting out is too hit and miss and wonky!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how it turns out cos it'll be made with love and your piggies won't mind. Good luck and I'm sure it'll be FAB.