is this too much veg or about enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is what I put out for the girls every morning, I like to mix it up a bit, each day there is different veggies but I have something as a treat, some high vit C and some that I call filler as its not high in vit C but it contains it and they can have a bit more of it than say carrot.

today we have a vine tomato (cut in half) each, 1/4 carrot sliced, about 6 fine beans chopped, yellow pepper sliced, a little aubergine (1st time today to see if they like it) and 3 sprouts (chopped in half)
5609480494_59ff93bb69.jpg

and for filler a handful of rocket
5609483518_5b8aa2f15a.jpg

And I shamfully admit that I prepare this feast for them each day and present it like I have - not sure why, they dont care if I plonk it or place it on the plate :red

Is this about the right amount of food for the three of them, fudge is really starting to eat her veggies now with the big girls, and they really love their nom noms - note the nom nom plate.

The girls enjoying their no noms, crystal is trying a bt of aubergine
5608905569_cd7bfb0fb1.jpg

and you can see the size of the plate - its a side plate size.

luluhound

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
it looks good, some people say not tomato, over the yrs I have given mine tomato and they have always been fine, but I am more cautious now since reading about mouth sores, they are spoilt piggies, mine eat better than I do as well .:):)

Salt n Peppers mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Looks Great :)

I feed my lot veggies twice a day, more recently in a morning I go gather greenery from the garden because it's growing in abundance which includes Lemon Balm, Grasses, Clovers and Dandelions

Your plates of food look yummy drool

Reaction score
Mine get lots of little bits throught the day.... I don't really know what it adds up to... hmm... I should look x

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
it looks good, some people say not tomato, over the yrs I have given mine tomato and they have always been fine, but I am more cautious now since reading about mouth sores, they are spoilt piggies, mine eat better than I do as well .:):)

I give tomato every other day, same as carrot to just limit the chance of problems with their food.

And they really liked the aubergine :o that took me by surprise, tomorrow I will try them on parsnip too

sophieandhoney

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What could be the problem with Carrots?

I feed mine a lot of salad leaves........I am guessing this is wrong? More hard veg - don't get me wrong they do get carrots, tomatoes,peppers and cucumber its just they probably get two a day and leaves...

thank you - I think I will be switching their food around a bit..

xx

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think it's meant to be about a cup (half a mug) of veg per pig per day, so maybe measure it in a cup?

It looks amazing, but maybe a little too much? Maybe just give slightly less of the tomato, carrot, beans, etc and the same amount of greens? It should be mostly greens anyway, and the other things as treats mostly :) That's just what I do anyway :)

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
carrots from what I have read is high in vit A which is said to lead to liver problems so I give it every other day as I do the toms. There looks like their is a lot of tomato, that is only 3 small tomatoes there, cut in half, one each which usually does happen.

There is such conflicting advice on what can cause what on the internet, some say sprouts will cause bloat, others advice to feed them daily. I have a list of what can cause potential problems and I rotate that about so that they get something different each day, but the main staple of the food is the forage filler like rocket leaves or spring greens, or even celery tops for them.

Yesterday for instance the plate had a bit of cabage, three sprouts, mange two, yellow pepper. I didnt give them as much because they were going out on the grass for several hours while we modified the hutch and re-felted it for them. Today they have got aubergene, parsnip, carrot, rocket and broccoli.

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah and carrots are quite high in sugar, I give them to my pigs about 2-3 times a week, just small amounts each :)

I give them cabbage and sprouts etc. often, but in smallish amounts in case they upset their tummies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.