• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is this too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GuineaPiggable

Ok, so Bimbis cage is kind of small. I know that, but its just a starter cage. And Bimbis out of his cage a lot, hes a social piggy. And I plan on maybe making a bigger cage sometime when I can. Right now I cant though. I was just checking to see if this cage was like, un healthy-ish too small. Is it? My brothers guinea pig has a bigger cage, we got lucky and found it cheap at a pet store. His guinea pig isnt as social, so should we trade cages? Would Reesy be happier in the smaller cage, that way Bimbi had the bigger one?

Heres a picture:
100_2515.jpg

Please + Thank you

*By the way, if its too small, Ill try to fix it. Please dont hate/flame me though. o.o *hides under pillow*

A guinea pig needs at least 0.3 square meters minimum, the more the better.

Most people start off with a 120x60 standard petshop size cage. Yours DOES look smaller on the picture - how are the measurements?

Hi, it does look too small, more suitable for a hamster and guinea pigs do grown much bigger than hamsters.

Have a look on www.zooplus.co.uk or www.petsathome.co.uk both have cages around the £30 mark or if you can afford it go for a bigger one that those. If you can't afford one right now, why don't you ask your parents for one for Christmas? Occasionally they are offered on here for free, so keep your eyes open, or check out your local freecycle site

Kathryn x

I can't work out where you live...I have a 1meter x 50cm indoor cage you can have if you can get it...I'm in Nottingham. Its one of the plastic bottom with wire top jobbies.
H78

Would be interesting where you live, could have a look on Ebay for you..

We got a 120x60 cage once off Ebay for 15 pounds, but it would have to be fairly close to you so you can pick it up.. posting would be more expensive than the cage I think!

I live in the us, and I got my brother to trade cages with me. ;D Now Bimbis in this big cage, I'm hoping he'll be like, more social and talkative and stuff in it. And happier. <3

The cage is a "My First Home" one, for guinea pigs or ferrets or rabbits or something. Ill get a picture later! ^^

I thought your brother had a guinea pig aswell? so does that now simply mean another piggy sits in the small cage? :-\

yes, and I know what youre thinking. But 1, the guinea pig is younger and smaller, and 2, the guinea pig is shy and I really think she's better off in the smaller cage. She likes it better right now, I know that. *was just checking up on her and she was happy*

Are you planning to get a bigger cage for the girl as well, at some point? I am sure you know from when you have the piggies out of their cages, how much they love to run and popcorn around? If they have nice spacious cages, they can exercise on their own timetables and not only when you take them out of the cages. My piggies are definatly 'an hour on, an hour off' in that one minute they are quiet and just resting and then all of a sudden they are running laps. It is wonderful to see but they have constant access to a large area (approx 24 square feet) so they have a choice.... Piggies in smaller cages do not have this option. They only have their floor time. She may be happy now - and great if she is - but please consider getting her a bigger cage soon. She will love you for it...

kayjay said:
Hi, it does look too small, more suitable for a hamster and guinea pigs do grown much bigger than hamsters.

Have a look on www.zooplus.co.uk or www.petsathome.co.uk both have cages around the £30 mark or if you can afford it go for a bigger one that those. If you can't afford one right now, why don't you ask your parents for one for Christmas? Occasionally they are offered on here for free, so keep your eyes open, or check out your local freecycle site

Kathryn x

I ordered this from www.zooplus.co.uk, it arrived today. :)
NewCage.jpg

It meas 101cm x 53cm x33cm & only cost me £24.90 because you get a £3 discount for being a new customer!
Today i saw an identical one in a local petshop for £52.99
It's definitely big enough for a piggie

Niki x

Niki said:
kayjay said:

Kathryn x

I ordered this from www.zooplus.co.uk, it arrived today. :)
NewCage.jpg

It meas 101cm x 53cm x33cm & only cost me £24.90 because you get a £3 discount for being a new customer!
Today i saw an identical one in a local petshop for £52.99
It's definitely big enough for a piggie

Niki x

Lovely cage Niki and £25 is a bargain! Love the Eeyore on top too. I'm a huge Disney fan and have about 70 or so cuddly Eeyores.... One day I will grow up and start being the adult I technically am! ;D ;D ;D

Nice cage Niki, is it your drying off cage?

Thanks Kathryn & yes it is ;)
It will also double up asmy hosp cage should i ever need it, it's much bigger than it looks in the pic :)

Beaney said:
Lovely cage Niki and £25 is a bargain! Love the Eeyore on top too. I'm a huge Disney fan and have about 70 or so cuddly Eeyores.... One day I will grow up and start being the adult I technically am! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Beaney :)
I too love Eeyore but i haven't got 70 - lucky you :D That one talks when you pull the butterfly or his tail - it's v.scary when it does it in the night for no apparant reason(that's why he's no longer in my bedroom) ;D ;D

Yep we are planning on getting a bigger cage for her soon. But we're moving soon, so we also cant have this massive hand made guinea pig cage in my room. (lol :D)

I'm in the usa. So I think the shipping would be a lot for a cage from the uk. :-\

GuineaPiggable said:
Yep we are planning on getting a bigger cage for her soon. But we're moving soon, so we also cant have this massive hand made guinea pig cage in my room. (lol :D)

I'm in the usa. So I think the shipping would be a lot for a cage from the uk. :-\

You could contact them & see if they despatch to the uk or try .com on the end not .co.uk, just a thought :)

Oh, never thought of that. =O lol Ill try it.

*tries* Yep! They have a .com one! Ill look around now, thanks Nikki!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back