• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is three a crowd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaireBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two pigs at the moment Logan 9 months (avatar) and Dexter 7 months. We just bought a huge two story cage and I would love to get more, my BF isn't so sure so wanted me to check out how many male GPs is too many? Are two company and three a crowd? Would it cause problems?

Any advice would be great :D

I have had 4 boys together before and I am about to add aother boar to my current pair of boys. It might be worth going boar dating as opposed to just choosing a piggy yourself.

I would not add another boar to a stable duo!

There ARE a few trios and even the rare quartet, but the majority of them break up sooner rather than later, especially once they hit the stroppy months between 4-12 months old. The chances that you end up with three single boars who do not get on with each other are pretty high!

It usually needs lots of experience, cages and boar switching to find the right combination - or OODLES of space, 1 sq metre minimum per boar in order to make it work!

Generally, it is better to wait with adding boars until they are fully adult and stable and even then you have to be aware that every duo will ever make a happy trio; it entirely depends on the combination of characters.

I have too say I agree Wiebke purely because I couldn't even get 2 boars to work together, so wouldn't even dream of trying more.

If its not broke, don't fix it.

I currently have 4 boars but they live in pairs and have very little interaction because on the few occasions we've had all 4 out together for lap time two of them will chatter teeth very loudly (they are actually ok with each other for the first 10mins - but once one starts to bum sniff or mount the other will chatter) - the other two boys out of both pairings (the two less dominant ones are absolutely fine)

I know there are a few members on this forum that have trio's of boars and i recall reading that someone actually had 4 boys all living peacefully together.

I know that this requires a lot of experience, not only through the picking of the piggies with personality matches, but also the actual bonding process. Ive heard of people ending up with 3 single boars - because once blood is drawn there's a need to separate immediately.

I personally wouldn't upset the bond your boars currently have - plus your boys are currently at the hormonal/teenage stage - better to see how their pairing works out over the next few months.

How big is your cage? depending on this, there a possibility you could separate your cage and have another pair (either above or below your current pair)

My mum's got four boars together and she previously had four boars before them. They all get along well, I think alot can depend on the piggies personalilty though for example there is one very dominant pig and the others are all laid back.
I have four boars (2&2) and would of loved for them to be altogether, but there is a dominant pig in both groups so is a no go.

Three is not a crowd! I have three and they all live so happily together without getting annoyed with space. Having three can also help keep them warmer in the winter as they like to cuddle up together. Also, if one died, the other two will still have a company while if you had only two, if one died, one would be on it's own or you would have to go through the bonding process!:)

Enjoy your 2 that are happily bonded as a new one may not settle and could cause fall outs, just my opinion:)

I wouldn't add to a happy pair of boars. Just my opinion, but you risk ending up with all single boys.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Ive decided to stick with my two boys, they're very good together and I wouldnt want to ruin that in any way whatsoever.

I was very lucky they bonded so well as introduction was impulsive after a very naughty trip to the pet store and finding Dexter in a cage with a big bunny getting trampled.

Thanks again, wonderfull advice from all, I love this forum I would have been lost without you all since I first got my piggies in May.

Change of thoughts now. Someone in Jersey is giving away a 5-6 year old boar who needs a forever indoor home due to the cold weather. I would love to give this old man a home for the rest of his life would you suggest if I was to adopt him keeping him seperate from my two younger boys? I'm going to email the person and ask a million questions about him first :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back