• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

It all happens at once!

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Messages
7,435
Likes
6,204
Points
1,545
Location
Marlborough, Wiltshire
#1
Today Jemimah was dropped off at the vet for her op to remove the abscess capsule.
Merab went too.
They had both had a thorough check 10 days ago as I was slightly concerned by Merab’s fur thinning at one side.
Apart from the known abscess there was no sign of anything at all amiss with either girl.
This morning Kiri, my lovely vet, did the pre-op check and I said I was concerned as Jemimah was behaving more hormonally the past few days.
The long and short of it is - now there is some concern with her ovaries, possibly the beginning of a tumour so we agreed that Jemimah would be spayed today to try and deal with it before it gets worse. The unknown factor is where exactly it’s located.
Merab had another check and there us now a lump that can be felt.
This one is possibly a tumour, possibility a cyst so we will keep a careful watch on her.
Kiri is going to look into the injections to deal with cysts and when Merab has her next check we will decide what it is.
If it’s a cyst she can have the injections- if it’s a tumour we will leave her until it becomes uncomfortable then she will be given Loxicom. At over 6 years old I decided I don’t want to risk surgery for her.
Not the greatest start to the day - I think there will be a lot of cooking done today while waiting for news.
Sorry for such a long post
 

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2017/18
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
5,403
Likes
6,062
Points
1,625
Location
Bristol, UK
#4
Sending you and your piggies hugs. I hope all goes well for them. You are right it does all happen at once, I seem to be spending an awful lot of time at the vets at the moment with one or the other of the piggies. Xx
 

PigglePuggle

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
901
Likes
1,903
Points
550
Location
Liverpool
#5
Oh dear, poor Jemimah and Merab, and poor you! Healing supportive wheeks from me and my little herd, hope everything can be sorted out but it sounds like you have a very good vet so they are in good hands!
 

rhymer

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Mar 1, 2018
Messages
333
Likes
212
Points
310
Location
Wallasey, Wirral, uk
#6
Hoping Merab and Jermimah are both ok. I can completely understand about not wanted surgery of it is a tumour. I faced the same decision with George as he is over 6 years.
Sending hugs.xx
 

lovemypiggie

New Born Pup
Joined
Sep 14, 2018
Messages
2
Likes
4
Points
40
Location
Georgia
#9
Today Jemimah was dropped off at the vet for her op to remove the abscess capsule.
Merab went too.
They had both had a thorough check 10 days ago as I was slightly concerned by Merab’s fur thinning at one side.
Apart from the known abscess there was no sign of anything at all amiss with either girl.
This morning Kiri, my lovely vet, did the pre-op check and I said I was concerned as Jemimah was behaving more hormonally the past few days.
The long and short of it is - now there is some concern with her ovaries, possibly the beginning of a tumour so we agreed that Jemimah would be spayed today to try and deal with it before it gets worse. The unknown factor is where exactly it’s located.
Merab had another check and there us now a lump that can be felt.
This one is possibly a tumour, possibility a cyst so we will keep a careful watch on her.
Kiri is going to look into the injections to deal with cysts and when Merab has her next check we will decide what it is.
If it’s a cyst she can have the injections- if it’s a tumour we will leave her until it becomes uncomfortable then she will be given Loxicom. At over 6 years old I decided I don’t want to risk surgery for her.
Not the greatest start to the day - I think there will be a lot of cooking done today while waiting for news.
Sorry for such a long post
I am thinking of you and your piggie💗 This has got to be so hard! Sending well wishes, stay strong! 💪💙💜💛💚💪
 

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Messages
7,435
Likes
6,204
Points
1,545
Location
Marlborough, Wiltshire
#13
Checked with vet.
Jemimah came through her surgery and is coming round nicely.
I don’t know the details yet but Lisa, the nurse, said it was better out than in so that is hopeful.
Cage cleaned and divided so that Merab can stay with Jemimah in the new ‘hospital wing’ while the other 2 have the slightly bigger part and they will have contact through the bars.
Poor Phoebe and Priscilla have been quite subdued today and are now confused about the cage.

Knowing that this is a place I could share today and being aware of all your support has made a stressful day easier.
I am grateful beyond words
 

VickiA

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Nov 1, 2013
Messages
15,365
Likes
16,263
Points
2,165
Location
Cheshire, England
#17
We know what you’re going through so it’s good to support each other. Good news that Jemima has come through well. Hopefully Merab will tend to her gently while she recovers.
 

anyar.dris

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
May 31, 2014
Messages
515
Likes
663
Points
525
Location
North Wales, UK
#20
Hope your piggies get better soon! Piggies getting sick are always a difficult time.

I remember in the past we had all 3 piggies not well at the same time. Deedee had heart problems and we had to treat her for her uti and bladder stones, Meemee had dental problems, and then Bunny would have gassy stomach. Hubby and I would feed a piggy each a few times during the day for a few weeks. I hated those times.
 
Top