• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Itchy guineas

Jess565

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Both my pigs have become quite itchy , not crazy inching and there is no bold patches or scabs. When I was last at the vets I mentioned this and they didn't think their skin and hair looked like there was an issue. They had a small amount of dandruff so the vet did a scraping and look under the microscope and could not see any mites. We did get some of the zeno drops incase it was the start but they are still itchy. Could this be the central heating drying out their skin? Harold is in need of a bum wash soon and I was wanting to bath them both to freshen them up but I'm now not sure if I should or if I do what shampoo to use. I get my shampoo from gorgeous guineas. They don't stand itching but they pester to be itched all the time.

Jess565

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
They are on fleece and they sleep in their hay their skin looks ok. I've never known pigs who want to be scratched not just stroked. Harold also gets brushed nearly every day because his hair is quite long around his bum.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
They are on fleece and they sleep in their hay their skin looks ok. I've never known pigs who want to be scratched not just stroked. Harold also gets brushed nearly every day because his hair is quite long around his bum.
Have you tried whether a bowl of steaming water next to the cage brings some relief? If yes, think about getting a humidifier.

If you want to give more than a gentle bum wash with plain water, then I would recommend to look for a rehydrating and/or soothing one. But be aware that too much bathing can also make delicate skin as interferes with its normal function, so regular frequent bathing is not a longer term solution.

Jess565

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Have you tried whether a bowl of steaming water next to the cage brings some relief? If yes, think about getting a humidifier.
I will give this a try. We have a local pet shop they don't sell animals just food and accessories and I mentioned them being itchy and she said they will be getting dry with being indoors, I was not sure if this was a true thing, but I will give the water ago. The pigs are not distressed I just don't want to ignore something I could do to make them more comfortable.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I will give this a try. We have a local pet shop they don't sell animals just food and accessories and I mentioned them being itchy and she said they will be getting dry with being indoors, I was not sure if this was a true thing, but I will give the water ago. The pigs are not distressed I just don't want to ignore something I could do to make them more comfortable.
I notice a little bit more itchiness with my indoors piggies at the start of the heating season, but it is not as drastic and it settles within a week or two.

Have you conducted just a one-off pet shop strength (i.e. low dosed) round of ivermectin or done a full three rounds one high strength one in order to deal with any potential hay mites, which do not necessarily cause bald patches unles you are dealing with an advanced infestation?

Jess565

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Yeah we did a full course of the zeno 500 from the vet, is this the same as invermectin? Maybe they just like a good itch

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah we did a full course of the zeno 500 from the vet, is this the same as invermectin? Maybe they just like a good itch
Yes, that is a good quality product and a full course should have wiped out any mites and lice. Just making sure that we can close off that angle. ;)

Have you tried yet whether more humid air will help? Once you have dealt with the more obvious angles, it is a matter or trial and error to figure out what could cause the itching. If both piggies are itching more than the occasional normal itch and you have eliminited skin parasites, then there is most like an environmental vector in play.

Jess565

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
I have got a humidifier pot that hangs on the radiator and have also turned down the heating in the kitchen Bruno seems less itchy Harold still has an itchy bum. I will keep those going for a week and see if it helps