• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Itchy Martin

Gingerspider

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. A day before we hopefully bring a new pal back for introduction to our beautiful greaving Martin, we took him for a check up, just in case as he was scratching a lot.
Vet spotted a small patch of scabby skin and diagnosed a bacterial skin infection and gave us some anti-bac wash to dab on his skin daily.
Pleased she found it as I had a good rummage and couldn't find anything (hes super hairy!)
Just wondering if anyone else's piggies have had this and what might have caused it? On super alert after losing Kurt.
Below is our hairy boy 😊

Attachments

• 20210507_174840.jpg
    20210507_174840.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 7
We have bathed the wound (bless him with his bald patch) but he's still scratching and seems to be scratching all over. Vet said to put a bit of this mixture on daily and come back in a week but I'm worried with his extreme hair that she's missed something like mange/mites?

I would just advise to keep a very close eye on him in case any more patches show up. I had a piggy with a skin infection. Vet didn’t know what it was but said it MAY be bacterial. Prescribed creams. Whatever it was it spread very fast. A new patch showed up nearly every day.

I would just advise to keep a very close eye on him in case any more patches show up. I had a piggy with a skin infection. Vet didn’t know what it was but said it MAY be bacterial. Prescribed creams. Whatever it was it spread very fast. A new patch showed up nearly every day.
Thanks. Did you get piggie sorted?

Hi all. A day before we hopefully bring a new pal back for introduction to our beautiful greaving Martin, we took him for a check up, just in case as he was scratching a lot.
Vet spotted a small patch of scabby skin and diagnosed a bacterial skin infection and gave us some anti-bac wash to dab on his skin daily.
Pleased she found it as I had a good rummage and couldn't find anything (hes super hairy!)
Just wondering if anyone else's piggies have had this and what might have caused it? On super alert after losing Kurt.
Below is our hairy boy 😊

Hi!

Please keep an eye out in case Martin has got ringworm, or more likely either mange or hay mites. 'Bacterial skin infection' is often a default diagnosis for 'I have no idea what is going on'. The antibiotic may or may not suppress symptoms temporarily; any on the skin treatment will wash away any markers that help a diagnosis.
Please be upfront about Martin having a potentially infectious skin problem.

You may find this guide link below helpful; it has got information about the most common guinea pig skin issues. keep in mind that the stress from the loss of a companion can lower the immune system and make a piggy more susceptible for existing mange mites eggs in the skin to make a comeback (which are usually kept under control by a fully working immune system) or for a piggy to catch something from the environment and not be able to fight back, as they normally would. If the problem isn't what your vet thinks it is, the link should help you.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Recommended vets: Recommended Guinea Pig Vets

Thanks. Did you get piggie sorted?
Obviously I’m not saying this will happen to your piggy but unfortunately not 😢. He was only 4 months old and maybe he had a weak immune system or something else going on inside him. But the infection took hold very quickly and aggressively. I hope your piggy responds to the treatment. 🤞

Obviously I’m not saying this will happen to your piggy but unfortunately not 😢. He was only 4 months old and maybe he had a weak immune system or something else going on inside him. But the infection took hold very quickly and aggressively. I hope your piggy responds to the treatment. 🤞
I'm so sorry to hear that. X

Whereabouts is the scabby patch? It's not diagnostic, but ringworm can often be seen first on the face/head end whereas mites often show bald patches round the back/bum end. If we've had mites we've not got so far as bald patches but overall shedding has been very significant.

Whereabouts is the scabby patch? It's not diagnostic, but ringworm can often be seen first on the face/head end whereas mites often show bald patches round the back/bum end. If we've had mites we've not got so far as bald patches but overall shedding has been very significant.
Its like a weird little sore black/red patch on his rump. There was no bald patches. I did give him a good look yesterday and didn't see anything else.
The vet said it was a bacterial infection that was common in long haired breeds near the rump, due to bacteria getting stuck?

I can imagine that if it's on a bit where he can reach easily to scratch he might break the skin with his nail..? I know my long haired girl seems to scratch less when her hair is clipped but I've not had her long enough to solidly confirm this suspicion - I'm sure there was a thread on here not so long ago about long haired piggies getting itchy generally because I put a reply in about Louise's ears getting more waxy when her hair was longer. She's pretty shaggy all over though, and her hair isn't smooth at all so she hates the brush or comb (we treated for mites on spec anyway). Your boy looks shiny and smooth. I hope your itchy patch is better soon Martin x

I can imagine that if it's on a bit where he can reach easily to scratch he might break the skin with his nail..? I know my long haired girl seems to scratch less when her hair is clipped but I've not had her long enough to solidly confirm this suspicion - I'm sure there was a thread on here not so long ago about long haired piggies getting itchy generally because I put a reply in about Louise's ears getting more waxy when her hair was longer. She's pretty shaggy all over though, and her hair isn't smooth at all so she hates the brush or comb (we treated for mites on spec anyway). Your boy looks shiny and smooth. I hope your itchy patch is better soon Martin x
Thank you. I don't think he can reach. Its right near his scent gland area but then again he seems to be itchy all over. We are going to do a hack job on him ready for summer and hopefully that will make him more comfy and easier for us to spot any issues. 🙂

Thank you. I don't think he can reach. Its right near his scent gland area but then again he seems to be itchy all over. We are going to do a hack job on him ready for summer and hopefully that will make him more comfy and easier for us to spot any issues. 🙂

I would keep an eye on him and the spot. It is not in a highly specific space but the increased itchiness could be an indicator of skin parasites.

All the best with his summer haircut; personally, I call it peru wrestling...
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

Back