• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Its Almost Time To Start Caravanning With The Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

karonus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well its almost time for the caravan and camping season to start in full. We are getting ready, is anyone else getting prepared to get away with their piggies in tow. Is anyone thinking about it and want some advice. I am happy to advise on our 7 years (and about 300 nights in a van with piggies) experience touring the UK.

Hi we are about to take two Guinea pigs on their first caravan break. They are indoor piggies so we have a smaller cage for them plus a collapsible run. Suspect they will end up in the van at night rather than the awning but any advice for novices greatly appreciated.

Ours always spend night in the van. We find the cage fits across the cooker and sink in our van. If this is the case make sure tap is pushed to the side turned off and pump is turned off as well. On our Facebook page " guinea pigs of the Turner household " there are lots of pics some inside the van. We have a heavy fleece that goes over the cage at night to keep out drafts.

We used to campervan with mavis and later static van. Planning on taking the whole tribe this summer. Always indoors at night because iim unsure of the fox situation.Mavis loved it and had a daily stream of small children bringing her dandelion leaves to her outdoor run. I made lots of new friends in the process - always happy to talk pig !

Hi we are about to take two Guinea pigs on their first caravan break. They are indoor piggies so we have a smaller cage for them plus a collapsible run. Suspect they will end up in the van at night rather than the awning but any advice for novices greatly appreciated.

Also when putting them in the outside run check the grass for weeds that may upset them. They love clover but worth getting a guide to wild plants .

Yoid have to check with individual stes. From my experience its not commanly done. They have vans they rent to people who are taking a dog so I would nt think theyd have a prob renting you one of those to take piggies
Alternatively, I know of a nice static on Mersea Island (Colchester) where they would be welcome and it is occasionally available to rent :-)

hi,do any caravan sites alow cavies,i would have to rent a caravan!i do not own one!

I would have thought it wouldn't be a problem. In the past we have inquired with travelodge and there was no problems apart from an additional charge.

Ive just seen an ad on ebay for two dear little 7wk old boys because "son has not looked after them" hutch and paraphinalia included. I mean, how long could he have had them? A week? Two? Fuming. Attention span of a gnat and foolish inconsiderate parenting

Ad reported to ebay

Sorry posted in wrong bit.....thats how cross I am. Please feel free to move. Rant over.

hi

I'm thinking of taking my piggy to mersey island we have a touring van there pitched up on a permante pitch

Fen Farm? I'm at Coopers Beach next door. I take the piggies often but just to warn you, theres said to be a big foxy loxy walking about at dusk so I always bring them in late afternoon and stay cl8se if they are out during the day. Ive not seen foxy but my neighbours say he is"as big as an alsation" ( maybe it is an alsation) and one neighbour claims she found fox poo on her balcony one morning ....

We always bring ours in towards dusk as it starts to get chilly. They tend to have afternoon outside if dry and not too cold. But there is always someone watching them.

Oh I remember taking ️Roddy camping before we got ️Red, it was a wonderful experience! Would love to do it again. Make sure you all take pictures too as would love to see :-)

We took our piggies - two at that time - caravanning when one of them got sick and had to be monitored closely for the week. Luckily it didn't seem too bad of an idea though the car ride may have been quite stressful (two hours- the main reason why we wouldn't do it again!) Although the piggies did seem to enjoy it, and made a lot of friends, my main advice would be not to leave the piggies unsupervised unless safety locked away in the van or tightly shut in the awning and out of sunlight when warm (it can get hot in there!) This is mainly because I found that often dogs would be wandering free range in the area since the site was so relaxed, and I was always so worried about one of them coming across our little pigs. Of course, it all depends on the site, but felt like this deserved a mention c:

We have learnt over the years tricks on keeping cages cool. Always leave the cage in the van. When travelling start with shorter journeys and they get used to it. When travelling stop frequently and feed cucumber for liquid. We look at a 5-6 hour journey to the south coast. That includes 3 stops about 20 minutes each or so.

Hi, just wondering if you would recommend me taking my piggies to Cornwall with me in October? We usually hit traffic so it can take up too 6 hours for us too get there! I have got two sets of bonded boars although Ted and chewy can get quite touchy if in an enclosed space which makes me wonder if they would be ok in a carrier for so long? Unfortunately I don't have anyone that I would trust too look after them for me, and the thought of boarding doesn't appeal to me if you could offer any advice I would be really appreciative!

Hi, just wondering if you would recommend me taking my piggies to Cornwall with me in October? We usually hit traffic so it can take up too 6 hours for us too get there! I have got two sets of bonded boars although Ted and chewy can get quite touchy if in an enclosed space which makes me wonder if they would be ok in a carrier for so long? Unfortunately I don't have anyone that I would trust too look after them for me, and the thought of boarding doesn't appeal to me if you could offer any advice I would be really appreciative!

I would recommend breaking the journey every 90 minutes to 2 hours to allow them 10 minutes cuddle time and cucumber.

I would recommend breaking the journey every 90 minutes to 2 hours to allow them 10 minutes cuddle time and cucumber.

Thanks for your reply, Ted and chewy aren't really cuddle piggies they seem to hate it so I let them interact with me in their run, the two babies I am training to tolerate handling though touch wood! So should I just talk too them through the carrier? Unless a miracle happens and they suddenly start enjoying cuddles :whistle: :D I was also wondering if it's worth starting to take them out in the car now on short journeys to try and get them used too travelling?

Thanks for your reply, Ted and chewy aren't really cuddle piggies they seem to hate it so I let them interact with me in their run, the two babies I am training to tolerate handling though touch wood! So should I just talk too them through the carrier? Unless a miracle happens and they suddenly start enjoying cuddles :whistle: :D I was also wondering if it's worth starting to take them out in the car now on short journeys to try and get them used too travelling?

Yes I would recommend this. When we have had a new member to the group we always start with a weekend away no more than 90 minutes away. Perhaps start with 30 minute droves but an hour shouldn't be too bad.

Yes I would recommend this. When we have had a new member to the group we always start with a weekend away no more than 90 minutes away. Perhaps start with 30 minute droves but an hour shouldn't be too bad.

Thank you very much, your advice has helped my confidence regarding travelling with piggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back